• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evans Creek: August 24-26

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
TORXreport: Evans Creek with Piston's Wild & Evergreen Crawlers - August 24-26, 2012

This past May a few members of the Evergreen Crawlers made the trek down to join Piston's Wild at TSF for Memorial Day weekend. Dellstopjeepers, Chero-car, Nightfoam, and I attended the run.

They extended the invite to show us around their home turf at Evans Creek this past weekend. After having attended a past Evans run with them a few years ago, I was definitely looking forward to this run all summer.

Eric and I headed out of Woodland, around 5:00pm Friday. Evans Creek is an easy three hours away. No traffic, and almost all highway.
IMG_0004.jpg

One of the things I love about Evans creek are the amazing views of Mt. Rainier. Heading up the gravel road, we got some awesome views of it as the sunset.
IMG_0006.jpg

I was just happy my junk made it this far.
IMG_0007.jpg

We arrived at the campground a little after 8:00. That's where we found the small metropolis of the Piston's Wild/Evergreen Crawler Base camp. Eric and I got the last open spot in the campground. Joe (WaXJ_Skier) graced us with his presence for the weekend as well.
IMG_0012.jpg

We enjoyed the camp fire Friday swapping stories. Saturday morning rolled around, and after a quick drivers meeting we were lining up for the trails.
IMG_0016.jpg

First trail of the day for our group was the 520.
IMG_0017.jpg

The 520 is a good trail to start the day off with. It's got a few tight sections, a few off camber parts, and a good rock out cropping. Floyd was having some battery issues with the Yota, Eric pulled up to give him a jump.
IMG_0021.jpg

Tony of the Evergreen Crawlers coming up the trail.
IMG_0022.jpg

The LJdude.
IMG_0030.jpg

Continued up the trail to the rocks.
IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

The "Nail Salon" back on the trails!
IMG_0037.jpg

After finishing the 520 with no major trouble, we headed back down the road to regroup. Some awesome views of Rainier along the way.
IMG_0040.jpg

Regrouped at the upper staging area.
IMG_0045.jpg

Eric being green.
IMG_0046.jpg

The group set off for the 196 trail. Doug of the EC's running through the brownliquidfilled thing at the bottom.
IMG_0049.jpg

The 196 starts off with a good rock face obstacle. Maureen piloting the Side X Side up it.
IMG_0050.jpg

Dustin of the EC's.
IMG_0053.jpg

David brought out his new project to the trails. It's a work in progress, and the 196 proved to push it to it's limit by putting it on it's side. The cool thing about a Sami is, it only takes a few people to push it back over.
IMG_0055.jpg

LJdude.
IMG_0065.jpg

The group pushed on up the 196. We had a total of 19 vehicles of all different capabilities. Progress was slow at times, but during the down time it was fun to visit with one another. Continuing on we got to a pretty off camber corner with a nice root off to the low side. Luckily it was dry and you could hold the line, but the stress level was through the roof watching the back window inch by the root.
IMG_0072.jpg

Further up the trail there's a few good rock ledges to climb.
IMG_0074.jpg

Onto the 198.
IMG_0076.jpg

The 198 was pretty straightforward, and the group was able to cruise down it pretty quick. After a short break a few headed back to camp, while the rest of us pushed on to the 519.
IMG_0078.jpg

The main obstacle on the 519 is the rock face.
IMG_0083.jpg

Eric got tired of driving and tossed the keys at Joe. Firedrill run?
IMG_0086.jpg

Wheelbase definitely helps. Tommy stuck the line, but when he lost traction he was sitting on the rear bumper.
IMG_0090.jpg

On the cable.
IMG_0093.jpg

Last edited:
Gave Eric my camera. He took a portrait of TORX.
IMG_0097.jpg

No bubbles, no troubles!
IMG_0100.jpg

With an open front and short wheel base, Curtis played it safe and employed the help of his "vintage" Superwinch.
IMG_0106.jpg

After the rock face there's still a few more rocks to conquer. Douglas giving some eyes.
IMG_0107.jpg

Once we finished the 519 we popped out on top.
IMG_0113.jpg

This is why we say 80" max width.
IMG_0118.jpg

Once we returned to camp we prepared for the Saturday Night Evans Creek Feast. Three dudes trying to make cheesy potatoes. Thankfully Joe knows how to cook.
IMG_0119.jpg

Talk about a feast. We even had Ice Cream!
64B4BC25-F470-4D31-BC4F-BD4AE2FAFF2D-1381-0000011D9406233A.jpg

After dining in style, word of a night run began to spread. A few of the Evergreen Crawlers headed out to run the 311. Joe took his YJ, while Eric and I brought up the tail in the Nail Salon. Good times!

At the top of 311B we found the remains of a burned Cherokee. Those who ran the trail in the morning said it was still on fire when they passed. I guessed it burned due to electrical fire, and nobody had an extinguisher. Talk about a bad day! It was still putting off heat when we were there.

Sunday rolled around rather quickly, and we were rolling out for the 102 around 10:00. TORX was tail gunning. At least nobody was behind me.
IMG_0121.jpg

We passed this ZJ at the bottom of the 102 featuring full float steering.
IMG_0122.jpg

Winding up the 102.
IMG_0124.jpg

It's not often I see glass deflect under pressure. Eric ended up taking out his window on this one.
IMG_0125.jpg

We finished the 102, and regrouped at the top. A few people continued onto the 198 and 520, while some of us headed back to camp.
IMG_0127.jpg

All in all, I think I came away from Evans pretty well compared to past trips. No new dents, and just a good scuff on the rear. The Dellstopmobile and the Nail Salon have matching tattoos.
09BC99D8-2854-47B3-9DBC-F61F036E759E-1381-000000DF672EAF94.jpg

It was a fun trip, and it was great to get the Jeep back on the trails. Looking forward to wheeling with the EC's again soon.

I have a set of rear tinted quarter glass 20 bucks for the set if he wants them.

I don't cross post other clubs runs. I considered seeing if you were interested, but I figured the Bronzemobile was still down for repair.

eh it is, this would hae been great modivation to get er done. had i known.
oh well ill get mine eventualy.

Bronze.

someone else didnt have a good weekend. dont know the story on it. i saw it in the parking lot looked great then heard later on the cb some one talking about a burnt down cherokee so had to go see it. one guy said it was his first run and he had a electrical fire under the dash but who knows. didnt see any sign of fire extinguishers. saw you guys up there but too busy fixen my shit to say hi.
DSCF4561.jpg

Back