• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gearbox manufacturer reccommendation?

AZjeepin1

NAXJA Forum User
AutoZone carries Duralast, RockAuto has Lares, Atsco, and A-1 Cardone. I'm sure other stores have other brands.

Question is, which one is going to last me the longest and not give me issues? They're all reman.

I have tried several rebuilt boxes , from the various suppliers listed, and none of them were anywhere as tight as a new Factory box.
Boxes from specialty shops, such as Tommy Lee, are a different story.
I have had better luck with low-mileage JY boxes.
I recently gave up and bought a new box from PSC, much better than any rebuilt I have previously tried.

I would try to find a tight, used one, in the JY, from and XJ or Dakota.
Rebuilding it yourself is something I do not recommend. It takes a lot of experience to do it right.
Check with forum member old man, from Colorado. He has been rebuilding boxes for years.

I would recommend anything but Duralast/Atsco, given my experience with their PS pumps. My steering gear is a Cardone rebuilt that I've had for maybe 2 or 3 years. Much better than the worn-out original.

I got a box from Napa whatever their house brand is, the first box had several inches of play in the wheel. Took it back for another that seemed much better but now about a year later it is starting to feel very loose. Just hit or miss with rebuilt boxes I guess, buy from a local place to avoid shipping returns and don't be shy about going back to replace the box right away if needed.

I recently gave up and bought a new box from PSC, much better than any rebuilt I have previously tried.

x2

After getting a PSC box for my jeep, I never wanna get one anywhere else. It cost me ~$300 to have them rebuild my stock box. That included a full rebuild, tapped from hydro assist, their fancy spool valve, their engraved cap, etc. If you delete some of the performace upgrades and such, it drops the price to around $200-250. Well worth it to me, they know their stuff and I love my steering setup now.

have to replace my steering box..
oil is POURING out of it now..

Anyway to test (The Slop) the re-manufactured steering box before installing it?

i dont want/cant spend alot on this.

Back