• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pump or gearbox?

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
so i lost my power steering the other day while wheeling. it would come and go, revving the engine some would bring it back until the rpm's dropped again. no leaks, fluid level is good. fresh fluid, recently rebuilt durango box, however i suspect it wasnt done correctly, the pitman shaft bearing was cracked and it took out the oill seal a little while ago.
my question is what is the likely culprit? perhaps my power steering pump went out, but i hear no whining, and with the issues ive had with the gearbox, i tend to suspect that. however, i dont know much about the gearbox so i'm not sure what inside could cause it to lose pressure.

Wheeling in rock can overheat the fluid, causing the power boost to fade.
Does do it only when hot or intermittently, when hot or cold?
Are you running a power steering cooler?

no power steering cooler, it did it once a couple weeks ago, for like a minute or two. then yesterday it started pretty quickly into the run and didnt get any better. im going to try it again in a few and see if it's only a temp thing.

i got a spare pump i guess i can swap in, just wondering if anyone has had an issue like this and it ended up being the box?

I remember reading a few posts here with same issues.. I used the "search" function. And it worked. :gee:

its most likely the pump.

you are going to kill the spare pump next. they stock size pumps are not capable of handling the extra flow of the larger durango sized box

the ONE time i ask a question and i get flamed lol:moon::roflmao::D
1325963932290.jpg

i got a spare pump i guess i can swap in, just wondering if anyone has had an issue like this and it ended up being the box?

Do it man! Swap it in. I just put a new pump in mine after work. If you have the funds for a new pully. Do it! That plastic POS that jeep put on there is junk. Get a Dorman 300-301. http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-6851-300-301.aspx
Advanced Auto Parts carries them.

Sounds like the pump. I went through three (from O'Reillys) before I got a quiet one. They said they never heard of that and I said "Well, you have now."

Make sure you borrow a PS pump puller, don't try any two or three jaw pullers that you might have laying around.

You could try Lucas PS pump leak stop it's supposed to also condition internal seals and smooth out rough spots.

i put in a brand new wj pump, and it's still doing it. so that means it's the gearbox. the pump is dead quiet, pretty sure it's bled right.

i put in a brand new wj pump, and it's still doing it. so that means it's the gearbox. the pump is dead quiet, pretty sure it's bled right.

did you steer lock to lock with the tires off the ground and the engine off? I do that 20 or 30 times to bleed a pump and box. if you don't, chances are that the fluid will cavitate and ruin things.

Back