• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 Cherokee Manual Transmission Problem

lweiman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 Cherokee 4.0L, 5 speed manual tranny. (dont know exactly what model of tranny)

I do not know what my problem is, to all you jeep doctors out there, PLEASE help me diagnose whatever is wrong with my gearbox.

SYMPTOM 1:
When I am at highway speeds, shifting from gear 4 to gear 5, I get a very nasty sounding grinding noise as I am moving the shifter into gear. (The noise sound very similar to when you let out the clutch with the shifter halfway in gear. Its a very sharp gears-grinding-skipping-teeth kind of noise). As it is making the sound, I have to apply more force than normal to get the sifter into gear. Once the shifter is in gear, it no longer makes the nasty grinding sound, but it makes a much more quiet constant grinding noise.

SYMPTOM 2:
When I am downshifting from 4 to 3 to slow my jeep down a little bit, I get the same Grinding noise as I get in symptom 1. The grinding noise happens when the shifter is halfway between being in neutral and in 3rd gear. As in symptom 1, I have to apply more force than necessary to get the shifter past the grinding and into gear. Once the shifter is in gear, and I let out the clutch, there is no more grinding and everything is dandy. This symptom only happens when I am decelerating

SYMPTOM 3:
When I am accelerating from a stop, I get none of the grinding, mentioned above, going through gears 1-4. There is no grinding, no noises, no nothing. It feels completely normal. When I get going fast enough to put it into gear 5, SYMPTOM 1 happens again when I upshift.

I am a poor engineering student without enough time to devote to researching why my jeep is acting this way, please help me out! WHAT IS WRONG?!

...I was thinking synchro...?

Back