• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mount Your Own Tires with Counteract Balancing Beads

X E Ryder

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,

If anyone who has little experience breaking tires down by hand wants to give it a go or learn a little more. My wife snapped some pictures while I was mounting up mine and I thought I would share the process with you. After having great success with Counteract Balancing Beads, they are all I run now and consequently I don't pay any tire shops to beat up my wheel and tire combos anymore. OK let's mount some tires!

Required: Wheel, Tire, Two 30" tire spoons, valve core tool/fisher, bowl of soapy water, old sock, cold beverage waiting for afterwards.

0) Start with a new valve stem, remove the core, dip in the soapy water, push through from the inside, attach your tool and pull until it pops in - easy.
xe-wheel0.jpg

1) Now take the sock or small rag and dip in the water and wipe the beads of your wheel, feel for any sharp metal that might snag the rag, if you find some, use scotchbrite or something to smooth it out.
xe-wheel1.jpg

2) Now let's soapy water the tire on both beads, both out and wrap the rag towards the inside as the rim will have to slip through the bead.
xe-wheel2.jpg

3) Now push the tire over the wheel on a flat clean surface, I used a flattened cardboard box. The first one is pretty easy - push down and away from you to let the bead down near the center of the wheel. This is going to be a recurring theme for any tire you ever deal with, remember well that the bead is full of steel belts, it will never stretch! So the magic is to get the bead on your side pushed down to the center of the wheel, where the diameter is smaller and it "buys" you that extra space you need to slip the rest of the bead over - a good kick when you are close is good!
xe-wheel3.jpg

4) Now we slip in the Counteract ceramic balancing beads, just lift the tire and you throw the whole (inner) bag of beads in - each package comes with bead bag, valve stem, and special valve cap to let a tire shop know it has balancing beads in it.
xe-wheel4.jpg

5) Now the fun begins, getting the second bead to cooperate is going to be all about using both feet to push the upper bead down to the center of the wheel where it has a smaller diameter. A couple good jumps pushing away from you should get it started.
xe-wheel5.jpg

6) Ok now that we have the tire in a sort of bind and about 60% on, I've cut a piece of a Sprite plastic bottle to protect the wheel from my tire spoon, because Sprite is good with Sailor Jerry's rum. Slip the plastic part way into the bead of the wheel, and the spoon (tip curving Down for mount, we use Up when dismounting) in on top of it. Leave plenty outside so you don't suck in in!
xe-wheel6.jpg

7) Now it's time to run for home base, make sure the bead is still soapy wet, stand on top and start lifting the tire spoon. While you lift, start jumping on the tire with both feet to get it... You guessed it, down to the center of the wheel! If you are having trouble, ease off the spoon and jump some more - every time I have trouble here it's because the tire was not low enough or the soapy water dried up.
xe-wheel7.jpg

8) Keep jumping and prying up on the spoon following your progress around the tire with both feet, this will stop the "one side going on, one side coming back off" problem. You will be rewarded with a nice little "Pop!" as the tire gives in to your awesomeness. Now slip out the tire spoon and get your plastic piece out right away!
xe-wheel8.jpg

9) Now stand the tire upright (your valve core should still be out) and apply air full blast (I have done this with a POS cigarette lighter compressor but it may require a little more soapy water if that's what you're doing). Anyhoo, if the air leaks out wiggle the tire and find the sweet spot and it will seal up and start filling. Remember not to exceed 40 pounds for any reason! You can seat the beads with like 10-15 psi of air.
xe-wheel9.jpg

10) Now pull off the air and lay the tire down, install your valve stem with the other end of the fishing tool. Inflate the tire to proper pressure and take a dab of soapy water and wipe over the valve stem - bubbles? No? Good! Yes? Tighten! Install the valve stem cap.
xe-wheel10.jpg

11) Now stand up your wheel / tire combo and bounce it to a funky tune while you roll it over to your rig for a most excellent prideful installation you did your self with zero scarring of your wheels.
xe-wheel12.jpg

I hope anyone who was put off by doing their own wheel / tire combos will feel a bit more comfortable with giving it a go. I stand ready to help anyone with this also. :cheers:

Last edited:
I was gonna say the harbor frieght tire mounting machine is worth its weight in gold... but then you dont get to hang out and listen to beastie boys...

Nice writeup.

I was gonna say the harbor frieght tire mounting machine is worth its weight in gold... but then you dont get to hang out and listen to beastie boys... Nice writeup.

If I had the place to mount it to my slab (and would use it more often than once a year) I'd be on it! And Thanks. ;)

Nice write up, thanks! I want to try mounting my own tires and I had never heard of balance beads ( are these new or have I been living under a rock? ). Gonna give this a try!

Thanks! Semi-trucks have used them for sometime because it is cost prohibitive to rebalance them over the life of a tire. BB's do well just fine, but the Counteract ceramic beads will not corode, are premeasured, weighted, and designed by tire size. The beads are also TINY! so minute balance adjustments are done automaticly.

Back