• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Tools Required For Rebuild - Types and Sizes

X E Ryder

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA folks,

Well after a fruitless search here and the net, I am still at a loss for What Size and Type Tools I will need for an NP231 rebuild.

I have a good selection of tools in my garage, but I have seen references to needing a 28mm deep socket, 10mm 12 point socket, oil seal puller and of snap ring pliers (in and out?).

Can someone in the know please enlighten me exactly what I will need?

I have named this thread so the next person searching for it can find these postings too! Thank you.

I don't remember needing a socket that size, 28mm. If you have a good selection then you'll be fine. A bearing puller would be beneficial. Specifically a pilot bearing puller. So that and the snap ring pliers are the only special tools. Look up some of the 242 rebuild threads. Can't be that different

I don't remember needing a socket that size, 28mm. If you have a good selection then you'll be fine. A bearing puller would be beneficial. Specifically a pilot bearing puller. So that and the snap ring pliers are the only special tools. Look up some of the 242 rebuild threads. Can't be that different

Thanks for the info - well the new rear yoke nut is smaller than 1 1/8" and bigger than 1 1/16" and too big for my 27mm - that was where I was thinking 28mm. I have the FSM but it only lists special tools, not whatever shop tools are used. Since I want to torque everything to spec I was trying to avoid having it apart and needing to go get a tool!

The only special tools you'll need are ring pliers. You'll need the kind with flat jaws for spreading a ring (like this), and another for internal/external snap-rings (like these).

Ahh, I have the second one actually, but not a beefy set like the first, I'll remedy that. Thank you! :star:

I used an 1/18" on my yoke nuts

a seal puller is handy, but not do or die.

an impact gun makes the yoke nuts easy

snap ring pliers are a must (in and out)

a little RTV and some brake-clean and thats it

FYI, I used electrical tape to cover the snap ring groove on the main shaft so I could drive the seal past it without folding it over...took me a couple tries to figure that one out.

I used an 1/18" on my yoke nuts

FYI, I used electrical tape to cover the snap ring groove on the main shaft so I could drive the seal past it without folding it over...took me a couple tries to figure that one out.

Whoa a couple of sweet tips there, Thanks! :)

Back