• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator replacement

Borgli

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to replace my radiator. My question to all you out there with any experience is; how much ATF will come out of the two hoses? I know I can just pull it and see for my self, but I really have no idea and ATF is really expensive in Norway (120$/gal) so I dont wanna spend all that money and find out that it only looses a pint.

Thank you for your time

Whoa! $120 a gallon!?

I didn't loose more than a handful of fluid but at that cost I would remove the connections very carefully and catch anything that comes out. Drain the fluid into a clean container and reuse it.

When I did mine I didn't even lose enough to notice on the dipstick. It won't drain your trans. You'll just lose what's in the rad which isn't much more than a cup....if that.

It's insane, doing an oil change costs 200$, gas costs about 10$/gal. We have 25 % tax on everything + 33% income tax.

Last edited:
It's insane, doing an oil change costs 200$, gas costs about 10$/gal. We have 25 % tax on everything + 33% income tax.

ouch! But what is it for you in return? Seems like if they are going to stick it to you like that somethings got to give.

Last edited:
ouch! But what is it for you in return? Seems like if they are going to stick it to you like that somethings got to give.

Norway has good schools, a great infrastructure, national healthcare and a better social welfare system than we do. Nothing is free.
This might seem strange to many Americans but the Norweigians I have meet, while traveling in Europe, are mostly happy with their system.

Norway has good schools, a great infrastructure, national healthcare and a better social welfare system than we do. Nothing is free.
This might seem strange to many Americans but the Norweigians I have meet, while traveling in Europe, are mostly happy with their system.

Well, our schools are falling apart. We don't have enough teachers, our infrastructure is 30 behind schedule. And it would take 15 years to get all the current roads back up to date. We have "free" health care, but alot of people die wating for the help they need. My wife needed knee surgery, it was pretty urgent. 6 months later she still didn't get the help she needed, so we ended up going to a private hospital, 3 days later she had her surgery and was starting to feel better.
So alot of people have been starting to question where all our tax money goes...

Anyways, Thanks for all the help

Well, our schools are falling apart. We don't have enough teachers, our infrastructure is 30 behind schedule. And it would take 15 years to get all the current roads back up to date. We have "free" health care, but alot of people die wating for the help they need. My wife needed knee surgery, it was pretty urgent. 6 months later she still didn't get the help she needed, so we ended up going to a private hospital, 3 days later she had her surgery and was starting to feel better.
So alot of people have been starting to question where all our tax money goes...

The folks in Sacramento keep given the farm away to all these illegals.. We won't be far behind you. Hell, our kids don't have a chance the way the school system keeps taking hits. (please don't take this as some sort of political bashing. JMO is all)

Hope you get it all straightened out as cheaply as possible man!

Last edited:
It's a good idea to replace your radiator to cross member isolators when you change radiators. You need to tighten the upper nuts on top of the cross member to about 25in/lbs as I recall, or your new radiator might crack.

I bought mine here: http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bin/partsSQL/search.cgi?query=radiator+isolators&catid=95

Being of Norwegian decent I'm interested in how Norway is doing. I remember watching an interview with the rock group ABBA, in which the interviewer asked them about how much money they were making, one of the guys said that they aren't really rich because the government takes most of their money. I think they're Swedish, but it's a similar system.

Last edited:

bureaucracy at work.

when you get the new radiator be sure to check the trans cooler tubes. I had one that was nearly smashed flat. I squeezed it with vice grips until I could blow through it with no restriction.
I also had to notch a framerail a bit to clear the cooler line because it stuck out farther than the factory one.

This was with a generic parts store replacement(ready-rad?). A higher quality unit might not have those issues, but I was in the middle of no where in a campground, so you take what parts you can find.

Back