• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash pad replacement

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 89 MJ needs a new dash pad, since the wind shield is busted out right now and we are getting ready to replace the top due to a roll over, this would be a good time to replace the dash pad.

Can the pad its self be changed with out taking out the entire dash panel and changing the VIN plate(highly illegal to do in VA). I've removed many XJ/MJ dash panels but have never looked to see if the pad can be separated from the panel.

Thanks and yes i have searched LOL!

My 89 MJ needs a new dash pad, since the wind shield is busted out right now and we are getting ready to replace the top due to a roll over, this would be a good time to replace the dash pad.

Can the pad its self be changed with out taking out the entire dash panel and changing the VIN plate(highly illegal to do in VA). I've removed many XJ/MJ dash panels but have never looked to see if the pad can be separated from the panel.

Thanks and yes i have searched LOL!

The pad is bonded to the dash. Really only the easy way to do it is to replace the entire dash.

Swapping the VIN plate can be done in such a way that no one would ever be able to tell. Generally swapping the VIN between dashes is allowed per restoration guide lines. That is how it works in Alabama at least. As long as you are not attempting to defraud a person you would sell the vehicle to or misrepresent the vehicle everything is just fine.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245343932&postcount=18

The pad is bonded to the dash. Really only the easy way to do it is to replace the entire dash.

Swapping the VIN plate can be done in such a way that no one would ever be able to tell. Generally swapping the VIN between dashes is allowed per restoration guide lines. That is how it works in Alabama at least. As long as you are not attempting to defraud a person you would sell the vehicle to or misrepresent the vehicle everything is just fine.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245343932&postcount=18

Thats what I was remembering I was just hoping my memory was bad. I know I can swap the plates and make it legit, I doubt we will ever sell this truck so its a possibility. I'll check with the VADMV to see what advice they can give me on it.

Thats what I was remembering I was just hoping my memory was bad. I know I can swap the plates and make it legit, I doubt we will ever sell this truck so its a possibility. I'll check with the VADMV to see what advice they can give me on it.

Very good idea to check with your DMV, because VIN plates use rivets that aren't available to the public. If you're stopped by the police and he/she just looks at your VIN, the replacement rivets will be very obvious (they're trained to spot re-tags) and you could be in for a very unpleasant day or two.

Your DMV might supply you with the proper rivets for a restoration project with a follow up inspection by the police.

Back