• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV231 TC Shifter Rattle Fix (cheap and a little hokey)

weebur

NAXJA Forum User
I had an annoying TC shifter handle rattle for a while now. Pulling up slightly on the handle stopped the rattle. To locate the source I pushed up on the torque shaft at the bracket with my finger (from underneath) and found out that the shaft was loose in the bushing and would duplicate the rattle.

There’s a kit available through dealers that replace the bronze bushing in the torque shaft bracket among other parts. I think there’s a FSB on this problem. Rather than going through the work and expense I thought I’d try this simple fix first. It worked, but I went from an occasional rattle to a full time squeak. I sprayed a good amount of WD40 on all of the pivot points and the squeak went away…at least for now. If the squeak comes back I’m going to cut the zip tie that wraps around the shaft (in front), sand any rust off, put a dab of grease on the shaft and replace the zip tie just tight enough to pull it down against the bushing, instead of yanking on it like I did when I first installed it. I suggest that you do this first.

I used a good quality 14” zip tie to go around the bracket and made sure that it was on top of the shaft behind the bracket (the shaft extends quite a ways behind the bracket), pulled it tight, then wrapped another zip tie around the shaft and around the tie on the bracket. The pic should make all this obvious...oops, I can't post attachments here, I guess, so check other Jeeps forums if you need to see the photo.

I’m posting this here and other places for those of us who hate rattles and squeaks and are too broke and/or lazy to do it the right way. I might add that I don’t know if the NV242 is set up the same. OK, I’m sitting down and ready for the ha ha’s .

Roy (AKA: Weebur)

Glad the fix worked for you. It's one of those things that isn't too bad to do, but requires motivation and a little time that not all of us have. I did it once before and it was a pain as my old 2001 had sound/heat dampening material stuck everywhere below the carpet, but it was worth it.

The kit you can get through the dealer and everywhere online is ~$14 but does eliminate the rattle. Not too bad of an expense. http://www.quadratec.com/products/5...oglemerchant&gclid=CI64lISXg7ICFYNM4AodzVsASg

Glad the fix worked for you. It's one of those things that isn't too bad to do, but requires motivation and a little time that not all of us have. I did it once before and it was a pain as my old 2001 had sound/heat dampening material stuck everywhere below the carpet, but it was worth it.

The kit you can get through the dealer and everywhere online is ~$14 but does eliminate the rattle. Not too bad of an expense. http://www.quadratec.com/products/5...oglemerchant&gclid=CI64lISXg7ICFYNM4AodzVsASg

Thanks for the link, I'm sure it's a lot less ($13.99) than the dealer kit. Like your old Jeep I installed sound deadening material on the hump. I'm going to clean up the rusty shaft, lube it and reinstall a new tie with less tension.

Back