• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long did your OEM water pump last?

XGarfX

NAXJA Forum User
I still have my OEM water pump in my xj (140k miles). I have replaced the radiator, hoses, tstat in the past but never touched the water pump cus it was working fine. I remember when I was younger my grandfather always telling me water pumps usually go out at 80-120k miles but he could be basing his opinion off old school cars. I do not have any overheating problems just seeing if anyone thinks I should change it out as preventative maintenance?

It does not leak coolant either, works fine just seeing what others have to say about it and how long theirs lasted.

I've got 165,500 on my '98 so far, on the original OEM water pump. No problems either. Engine stays a steady 208 the whole time...very little if any temp flucuation.

I may change it out someday soon, if nothing more than preventative maintenance.

Though I have changed out hoses, Tstat, and coolant in the past....

My pulley bearing was making some noise so I replaced it at around 116K. It didn't start leaking or anything, I just didn't like the way it sounded. Who knows? Could have seized. For damn sure, the noise was irritating.

71k on my 97 made some god awful noise and was leaking for abit before i got to it. I think the older gentleman i bought her off of used to spend alot of time letting the engine idle, so even though only 71k....

225,000km on my stock one so far (~140,500 miles)

As far as I know, my 99 had its original pump at about 275K miles, certainly no replacement after 144. My 95 went in the early hundreds, cheap replacement lasted well over that, the 87 some time around 150K, my stepson's 93 some time in the high hundreds. No pattern I can detect.

I'm just about to replace my water pump on my 90 XJ, 190K miles. The pulley bearings are starting to go and there's play, not to mention it's leaking slights through the weep hole.

in my 96 xj,

Made to about 95K and had to replace it.
It started weeping.

The belt might have been too tight.
(only way to stop the belt squealing in the rain.)

not sure if it was the org pump (bought the XJ used), But I took what appeared to be the org out at 153,000.
Was in good shape, no problems, I just wanted to change it along with redoing the entire cooling system.

Bought mine used a few months ago. It has 141K on it (99). It was leaking slightly either there or from the t-stat housing. I went ahead and replaced the water pump because it's pretty cheap to buy and because I was also replacing the harmonic balancer, rear main, the hoses, t-stat, front main, and timing set. I figured it was worth the few extra dollars to do it now since I already had everything else off the front of the motor and it was a lot easier to scrape the old gaskets off when there was nothing blocking the scraper. If I wasn't already replacing everything else on my list, I would have started with just the t-stat to see if that what was leaking coolant (just a very small leak)

I changed mine at 211,000 miles even though it was still functioning fine. Figured it was just a matter of time before it failed and since I was replacing the radiator I replaced the pump, thermostat and hoses to keep Murphy at bay.

My bushing failed at about 210k

99 had about 190,000 on the OEM, I changed it because I was flushing the block out and cleaning all the gunk.. I replaced just because it was already off (30$ why not..) Its still going strong on the 96 2 years later.

An interesting phenomenon I found on my 95 and also on the 93 was that they failed without any leakage or cooling problems. The design, at least on the OEM ones, was such that when the bearing went bad, the impeller would rub on the inner wall of the pump, allowing only a little play but a lot of noise. Eventually the impeller chews away at the pump wall and the play gets bad enough to kill the seal, but it can take a while. I went for a good long time on the 95 thinking that the piston slap had gotten a bit worse, and found the bad pump only by feeling for it.

All of which is a warning to yank on the pulley every once in a while to catch wear before it catches you.

wow these are some interesting numbers, there really isnt any "set time" that things go out at.

Does Jeep make new water pumps still or are they remans? If my stock pump went this long just like all you others I might be more inclined to pay the higher price of the dealer instead of buying a cheaper aftermarket pump.

140k ish

Back