• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what kinda noise should I expect?

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so before the regear I had a slight rumbling from the rear on acceleration. My XJ is lifted 5.5" in the rear with AA SYE.
I had new spring perches and shock mounts welded on to reset pinion angle, move the axle back 3/4" and then had the axles regeared to 4.56. All breaings and seals were replaced fr/rr.

Should I expect some noise during breakin? I also need to start driving this thing to work now ... roughly 248KM's once per week (248 there and then 248 back a week later) ... should I plan for a few extra stops the first trip to compensate for break in?

This all happened while I was out at work.

Now I have a slight rumbling on acceleration above 30Km/h and over 80km/h it's a good rumble but no felt vibration.

Issues I think may be possible contributors - (the below were also before the work noted above) XJ has 225,000kms

1. Still have the stock trans mount, motor mounts.

2. rear Axle end u-joint had two bearings snap during installation, swapped in a couple from the old one to get by with plans to replace.

3. When rebuilding the CV assembly I did not replace the centering yoke.
Rear shaft is a ZJ unit shortened to suit..
I plan to redo the Rear shaft before goin to work (replace the axle joint and replace the centering yoke)

Could the CV or trans mount be the root cause?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Last edited:
Also of note the rumblings only occur when on the throttle, it quiets up when coasting

Back