• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE trackbar question?

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
RE1660 track bar, converted to double sheer.

ive been fighting wallowing on the axle side bracket for a long time now. i recently had the sleeve in the bushing seize itself to the bolt, which led to tearing up the 5 year old bushing even more than it was worn to remove it.

id like to cut the bar, weld in a threaded insert, and use a ruff stuff heim. anyone have any idea how thick the bar is?

most likely .120 wall or .188 wall.

check with RE to be sure.

FYI, having a heim at one end and a cartridge joint at the other is going to allow the trackbar to fall over since it is not straight.

you are better off putting a larger bushing and re-building the axle side mount to accomodate it, or selling the entire unit and running a straight panhard with a cartridge joint or rod end at both ends.

I recently cut mine up to shorten it, but I didn't exactly measure the wall thickness. I wish RE would put more detail into their product descriptions on the website. Check quadratec, they seem to have more info on the RE parts.

I've been wanting to do this too, the bushing on mine wore out pretty good, but the RE joint on the other side is also screwing up. Bout time to just go to a heim setup.

If its the same thickness as the HD bar then it's an oddball thickness like .166 or something. I cut mine up like you are describing and had to machine it to get some tube to fit inside it right. And according to RE its made of chromoly. It wasn't worth the trouble to me. Would've been much easier to just make a whole new one

those axle brackets wallow out because they're so thin, if you could plate the outside of that area it would help.

those axle brackets wallow out because they're so thin, if you could plate the outside of that area it would help.

no. the brackets wallow out because the bolts get loose. the material is plenty strong as long as the bolts stay torqued to spec.

Back