• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual to automatic swap

mmag1982

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

Recently the clutch on my 2000 XJ 4.0 has been giving me lower back and hip problems in everyday traffic driving.

My Transmission is the NVG 3550

I'm considering an automatic transmission swap using stock parts to match a factory auto.

I think the transmission in question is called the AW4.

so what are the parts involved here, ? does the ECU have to be changed as well?

You will likely need the transmission, the torque converter, the bellhousing, the flywheel, the TCU, an automatic ECU(maybe), a brake pedal, a shifter... That should get you pretty close.

Not sure if the auto ECU will be needed. You'll need to do custom wiring to connect everything but you can deduce what you need to add with a factory service manual.

You will also need the cooler lines (Dorman 624-300, 624-301, 624-334, and two 800-714) and possibly a radiator with the trans cooler built in, if yours doesn't have it, or an external trans cooler. I doubt you will have trouble getting the trans up to temp quickly in the winter in Egypt...

Also new driveshafts from an appropriate donor vehicle (96-01 XJ with AW4, 4.0, 4wd or 2wd same as yours, and 8.25 or d35 same as yours), the bolts holding the flexplate to the crankshaft flange (and the large 6 hole washer under them), the flexplate as noted, the NSS (mounted to the AW4 already probably) and the 4x4 shift linkage support brackets and linkages if your jeep has 4x4.

It is a pity you are so far away, NV3550s bring decent money here.

Removing the pilot bearing and its bushing from the crankshaft may be difficult. The usual trick is to pack it with heavy grease or wet shredded newspaper, then pound in a dowel that fits snugly in the bearing to hydraulically force the bushing outwards.

I'm almost more than positive you need a new ECU. Say 93.4%.

Also, just in case you ask, ECU's can not be reprogrammed.

I'm almost more than positive you need a new ECU. Say 93.4%.

I'm gonna go ahead and say you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I'm gonna go ahead and say you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Please correct me then. Does he not need a new ecu for the transmission swap? I attempted to have my ecu flashed by the dealership and they told me it wasn't going to happen. Please share your knowledge.

You don't get it done by the dealer... unless you know someone there.

The manual ECU just runs the motor on 4.0 vehicles, the TCU runs the transmission. 2.5 autos (all six of them) have a combined PCM that runs both. If you put an auto into an MT vehicle and use the MT ECU it will work, you just won't get any trans diag codes as far as I know.

Works the other way too except you will get diag codes saying the TCU cannot be communicated with and your idle may be a bit high. Char-broil did a writeup on his auto to manual late model swap detailing this. http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1013850

The manual ECU just runs the motor on 4.0 vehicles, the TCU runs the transmission. 2.5 autos (all six of them) have a combined PCM that runs both. If you put an auto into an MT vehicle and use the MT ECU it will work, you just won't get any trans diag codes as far as I know.

Works the other way too except you will get diag codes saying the TCU cannot be communicated with and your idle may be a bit high. Char-broil did a writeup on his auto to manual late model swap detailing this. http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1013850

Sounds like some knowledge there. Thanks for the correction. I was misinformed and relayed the wrong info.

I don't think the dealership can even do something like that. I believe they are limited to changing what small items they can with the DRB (keyless entry stuff, sentry key, slight timing, vin, mileage) and any new firmware provided by Chrysler.

Just in case he asks, you are wrong.

I don't think the dealership can even do something like that. I believe they are limited to changing what small items they can with the DRB (keyless entry stuff, sentry key, slight timing, vin, mileage) and any new firmware provided by Chrysler.

I'm gonna call BS on both of you until someone tells me where you can flash a computer. I bet I'm correct.

I'm gonna call BS on both of you until someone tells me where you can flash a computer. I bet I'm correct.

Go ahead, no skin off my back :) I could care less whether you believe me or not.

Oh really?

I'm gonna go ahead and say you have no idea what you're talking about.

1. I've only been working on XJs and MJs for a few years now.
2. I only own/have owned five (91 MJ, 88 MJ, 96 XJ, 98 XJ, 99 XJ), and have never reverse engineered the TCU from 96, 97, and 98-01 XJs. Nope. I swear I've never researched the CCD bus data protocol or reverse engineered portions of the overhead console, instrument panel, airbag control module, or ECU, either.
3. Did you conveniently ignore Talyn's post there? I think you did!

Enough with the childish bickering, Ok here is the real fix for a swap, do a Google search on this stuff, so go here RADesigns Products buy a Rock floor shifter and a Rail II shift controller. You get manual control over all 4 fwd gears. No need to have the auto mode it's not that tough to manual shift if you DD. You'll be part of what XJ owners all over the world are using.:eek:

Back