• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a Dana 44

kr2590

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently looking around for a dana 44 for my 2000 xj. Hoping to get one out of a late 80s xj to simplify things. Was hoping the experts here could give me some pointers on what to look for when I go to check out these old axles. Any common things to check for that would be a deal breaker if you were buying it. I am expecting to put all new bearings in anything old I get right off the bat.

if your planning on putting new bearings in off the bat, pull the cover, inspect the carrier, ring and pinion for any damage, pitting, rust, broken teeth.

Check the axle tubes and the welds on the perches and shock mounts. Check the pumpkin for cracks, especially where the axle tubes are plug welded into the pumpkin for cracks

Look at the spider gears

basically anything that jumps out at you, if your changing the bearings then you dont have to get into back lash, preload or any of those worries

If you have luck finding one then go for it. I'm sure you know they're not easy to come by. That being said, mine was pretty cheap and close to where I live. But I think if youre going to go through the trouble of swapping axles, rebuilding them, and especially if you decode you want to run disc brakes, I'd say go straight for the 8.8.

Seems like a lot of work for the minor upgrade over your current 8.25 / 29 spline.

8.8 with discs sounds much better.

+1, wouldn't bother over an 8.25 29 spline!
But if you're looking for something to build up, i'd also recommend an 8.8.

So basically +1 to the guy above me.

I went with a Dana 44 since I found one cheap and I had a Dana 35. I'm pretty happy with it, but want to convert to disks eventually. If I had to do it again, I'd go with an 8.8 since it's super stout and already has the disks.

My 2 cents on a d44 are this:

None C-clip axles.
8.5" ring gear.
wide availability of parts and lockers

The 8.25":

The 8.25" is a pain if you break a shaft on the trail.
The 8.25" costs more to upgrade.
The 8.25" is such a hang up on rocks.
The one disk brake set up that will work is off of a d35 ZJ.

It would literally be 12 bolts and brake lines to do this swap if you found a complete axle with the gears you want.

Good luck on your decision.

+1, wouldn't bother over an 8.25 29 spline!
But if you're looking for something to build up, i'd also recommend an 8.8.

So basically +1 to the guy above me.
x2

unless you find something already built, i dont see the XJ44 as a worthy upgrade over the 29 spline 8.25.

for what it is going to cost you to rebuild a D44, you can:
- find a newer 8.8 thats good to run (gear rations range from 3.07s-4.10)
- do a brake job (and gain disks in the process)
- find one with an open carrier or LSD (the LSD works marginally well)
- gain a bigger ring gear, pinion gear, avoid a carrier break, and have bigger shafts.
- aftermarket support is almost as big, if not just as big, as a dana.

When did he say he has an 8.25? could be a D35.
All mid year 97' and later where 8.25 / 29 spline so unless someone swapped it out for a 35, that is what he has in his 2000 year model.

The appeal of the Dana 44 from a late 80s xj is huge to me. Rather then spending money on setting up the axle as I assume I would need to do on an 8.8 I can spend it on new axle internals. I run 33's with open diff but a locker is not out of the question in the future. If I am way off here on my thought process feel free to tell me. I would rather get the best choice then go with what I THINK is right.

I got a D44 for my 95 from an 87($250) It needed new brakes ($40), brake hardware ($20) and new wheel bearings/seals ($80). So this D44 is starting to cost me. Got it stuffed under the Jeep, it needs new pinion bearings because they are whining (like I am) and heck I'll throw in new carrier bearings (kit $100). I'll do the set up.

Most D44 from this generation will need these items, they are around 25 years old and most likely have major miles on them.

I put an 8.8 under my ZJ. Paid $200 with limited slip out of a 95. New brake pads $40. Brackets $300 because it's a 4 link, welding free by me. For an XJ, brackets will be around $220 for a complete kit (perches/ubolts/shock mounts/ubolt plate). You will also need a yolk $30 for the XJ size u-joint or a conversion u-joint $30.

Research a 8.8 into an XJ on the web, lots of info, I know I'm missing some parts.

With the 8.8 you will have disc brakes and .3 inches on the ring gear over the D44. You need to make sure you get a later 8.8 out of an Explorer with the 31 spline shafts in them and disc brakes. If you can't weld hopfully one of your friends can. The D44 out of an XJ/MJ is a direct bolt in. The 8.8 requires welding the brackets on and taking the yolk off or installing a new conversion u-joint. Drive shaft modifications might be needed if you don't have a lift. On my 95 I have about 1" of play on the stock drive shaft and only use it on the street for now. The Jeep is stock except for the D44.

I also had a Dana 35 with my ABS equipped 1999 XJ.

I swapped in a Dana 44 and moved the ABS over to it. I am very happy with my set up. I used the thread by fyrfytr1717 (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638) to guide me for the ABS conversion. It works great.

All I cared about was the axles and housing as I was going to regear and add an ARB locker anyway.

Well if you can find one. More power to you. I know I walk by 1 or 2 in my favorite junkyard out here in california.

I'm finally going to pull the trigger on this because I'm concerned that my wheeling is getting too harsh for my 29 spline 8.25. I even have alloy axles.

I plan on building a 33 spline d44 up with a detroit and disk brakes very soon. I'd like to wheel without the worry of it in the back of my mind that i might snap one of those shafts on the trail. They would be such a pain to deal with.

All mid year 97' and later where 8.25 / 29 spline so unless someone swapped it out for a 35, that is what he has in his 2000 year model.

No.... ABS Xjs have the D35, which is why I brought it up...

OP, IMO I would keep an eye out for any of the above metioned, 8.8, D44, or Chy8.25. Look for someone parting out a built axle, gears/locker/shafts, etc... or the best deal on one you can find. But keep in mind what has to be done to get them in.

I run 35s and no problems on my 8.25 29 spline with a locker and swapped on disk breaks from a grand and also have alloy shafts. I have seen limited amounts of people breaking a 8.25s. Im much more worried about my d30 on 35s then the 8.25.

With an 8.8, you're limited to 31 spline shafts, and unless you go with a Super88 kit, 1541h vs chromo.

With a dana 44 you can go 30, 33, or 35 spline, and get 4130 Chromo axles. The 8.8 disc brakes go on with minimal effort. Lockers are cheaper, and the odds of finding a spare shaft on the trail are better.

Back