• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shooting outdoors East of Portland?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
A friend just picked up a few pistols. Sig225(?), Glock 22, and a Springfield XDS.
We'd like to go somewhere outside of portland that is free and legal to shoot.
I'd rather avoid Memaloose, as I'm tired of getting gun swept by idiots out there and tired of seeing shot up printers and couches.
That and the next time some turd pops of a propane can during a dry summer, an errant round may find its way reeeeal close to him lol.
Don't feel like going to TSF either, so the question is:

Does anybody have suggestions of places to shoot legally around Mt. Hood like off 26?
BLM would be awesome but USFS is good too.
We're taking his Suburban, so obviously no 4wd limits us a bit.

Last edited:
Can't say that I know any place. I will say the quarry by Browns Camp is now and active rock pit so don't decide to settle for there.

Head like your going out to Prometory.... out on 224.
Several miles past the reservoir there is a big green bridge on your right going over the river. (NF-45)
Google Map: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&q=promontory+reservoir+oregon&fb=1&gl=us&hq=promontory+reservoir+oregon&cid=0,0,14509877977020587600&ei=ZvUzUIraEKXbiwKUyYHAAw&ved=0CGsQ_BIwAw

(just follow 224 down the map until you see the crossing over the river.)
>
Its a one way in-one way out sorta thing. Head up that road about 10 min or so into the woods, you'll eventually come up to the summit. Plenty of privacy and places to shoot up there.
Its a bit of a drive, no 4WD needed (unless its snow season) - but beautiful vistas, and off the beaten path.
If you want something a little more mainstream, there's the Portland Gun Club there in Gresham/Portland..... off 170th and Powell or something like that. Prob not free though.

some great places around goat mountain. just drive up and explore, or locate gravel pits on google maps satellite view

There's always your local Fred Meyer's..........

....too soon?:eyes:

Back