• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help, CEL: p0205 and p0305

JAKinder

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Jeep XJ automatic 117k miles 4x4 4.0 5.5 inch lift daily driver.

About 11 days after a trip to pismo, I started my jeep and the CEL was on. I have a scanner, so I checked it out, and it said it was p0305 (cylinder 5 misfire) but the jeep was not misfiring, or driving odd at all. I cleared the code, and everything was good for about a month.

About 1 month later, the same thing happened, again, no signs that the jeep was actually misfiring, cleared the code, it went away.

1 week later, when I started my jeep CEL came on, now the car was puttering, idling very weird (truck was shaking more than usual during idle). I checked the codes and it gave me p0205 and p0305. I took it to a friends house (who is more mechanically inclined than I am) We looked at it, cleared the code, and immediately starting running fine (no more shaking or puttering). We replaced the coil pack, everything seemed to be fine again, no issues

2 days later, started up, CEL came on, this time, it was p1495 (Leak detection pump solenoid circuit), but again, the jeep was running fine. Cleared it, it went away.

Over the next week, I would start up my jeep, and randomly the 2 codes from before (p0205 and p0305) would come on (only when I start the car, it doesn't happen while driving), car would run rough, I would clear them, they would go away and the car would run fine again.

Now for the weird part: After all of this, 2-3 times per week ONLY when I start my car in the morning, my batter gauge would be on 11 (usually at ~13-14) and CEL would be on with the code p1495, I would turn my car off, clear the code, start it up, and my battery would go back to ~13-14 and everything would be fine. Again, this ONLY happens on random mornings when I first start my car.

This last weekend (Saturday morning), we cleaned the engine, cleaned the battery cables and terminals, and cleaned the ground wire. We could not get the problem to replicate after doing that.

Monday morning, I start my car up everything looks fine. Drive to safeway to get water, start up my car, no issues (usually the CEL issues seem to happen when I drive from home to safeway near my work (15 miles), stop the car, go into safeway, come back and turn it on.) Got to work fine. Left for lunch to go to the gym, everything was good. As I got about 2 miles from work, CEL came on while driving (first time this has ever happened while driving, its always been when I fire the jeep up, not during normal driving). I pulled over and checked the code, it was p0205. Again, the car was running FINE, no issues at all. I cleared the code, it went away, no issues since that.

My question: Where on earth do I start with this? It seems to be completely random. Any advice would help! Im at a loss.

Thanks in advance for all of your help, and if I have posted in the wrong area, I apologize, I did an advanced search, but nothing with these kinds of issues came up.

Back