• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need to pull the dreaded #11 headbolt

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I need to pull #11 headbolt and apply sealer and reinstall.If i pull that bolt only and leave the rest alone will I risk headwarpage or gasket problems?
I need to do this because i suspect that is where im getting bubbles in my radiator from.
Awhile back i didnt know #11 is supposed to get thread sealer and retourqed my head bolts messing up the sealer that was already on there.

Just got done in the garage.Take my advice and dont buy a mail order motor.There was no sealer on the bolt at all....just a bunch of carbon all the way up to the neck of the bolt...is that possible due to the lack of sealer on the threads and the reason my coolant bubbles?I mean if someone forgets to put sealer on that bolt will it cause exhaust to leak into the water jacket and carbon to cover the bolt?

Last edited:
If your coolant is bubbling there could be a damaged head gasket. The sealant on the bolt prevents coolant leaking out the threads and the from between the head. Being that there is carbon it could a sign of a failed head gasket as well. I would pressurize each cylinder with compressed air and see which one causes the bubbles.

Back