• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll cage from top to bottom

Peacefrog53

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking for a couple days now and I can't seem to find anything about this. Would it be more or less structurally sound for my XJ to have a cage where the vertical post where welded fromthe floorboards to the roof? Then cross braced and triangulated. All i've really seen are cages that have a bar that goes from the floor then is molded around the body and back to the floor. Nothing seems to be attached to the roof.

the roof itself is thin sheet metal, and even with a cage the body still flexes quite a bit around it. i would think welding parts of the cage directly to the roof itself would just cause tears in the sheetmetal as the body flexed.

What exactly is your question? If your asking if you should tie you a,b,c, or d pillars into the sheet metal, then yes. More tie ins = more ridgidity.

i think he means welding a straight tube from the floor to the roof, then a bar across to the other side. so basically no bends.

Just keep in mind that when you strengthen something you move the force to the next weakest place. I suggest using a tried and true roll cage design or hook up with someone who is experienced in roll cage design. My body was already cracked all up before I put the cage in and the cage mostly just holds the body in one piece. :D

i think he means welding a straight tube from the floor to the roof, then a bar across to the other side. so basically no bends.

Bingo. Exactly what I was trying to say.

So the floor would be connected to the roof via a straight tube. In theory wouldn't that make the whole square body a lot more rigid, instead of just having a bent tube "close" to the roof? I'm just asking becuase I was thinking about a hybrid cage. Exo on top with roof sliders, and inner cage for the body and engine. Just not having the vertical posts go thru the roof. Have feet on the roof and the floor.

Last edited:
My tubes go through the roof on my hybrid cage, and dont touch the roof really, however the outer tubes tie in to the sides of the body with tie-in plates. Which is essentially the same as you describing.

Heres an example of what I did.

IMG_20120302_223318.jpg

IMG_20120302_200247.jpg

IMG_20120302_200258.jpg

Not quite the same theory, but I think it does the same thing in the end. It was a HUGE difference when I put these tie-in plates to the body.

Bingo. Exactly what I was trying to say.

So the floor would be connected to the roof via a straight tube. In theory wouldn't that make the whole square body a lot more rigid, instead of just having a bent tube "close" to the roof? I'm just asking becuase I was thinking about a hybrid cage. Exo on top with roof sliders, and inner cage for the body and engine. Just not having the vertical posts go thru the roof. Have feet on the roof and the floor.

How do you plan on tying the roof halo to the interior cage?

... Just not having the vertical posts go thru the roof. Have feet on the roof and the floor.

sounds like he plans to sandwich the roof ... same way you'd tie to the frame. Interesting idea though.

I really like StumpXJ's roll cage. For one reason it hugs closer to the body of the XJ for minimal extra width. I have seen some of the exocages that add considerable width and make tight maneuvering tougher. I like the way the cage is tied to the body. I can see that as a good design.

Too, I like the way John D ran through the roof and the seal off plate to keep weather out. Some great ideas here for me to ponder. I'd like to see more of these two builds and their roll cages. Thanks to both of you.

Thinking about sandwiching the roof exactly like this when I do my exo cage. Do you have any interior pics, build thread?

Any concern with crinkling the roof with "moderate" bumps to the exo?

Like this?

DSCF0008.jpg

My tubes go through the roof on my hybrid cage, and dont touch the roof really, however the outer tubes tie in to the sides of the body with tie-in plates. Which is essentially the same as you describing.

Heres an example of what I did.

IMG_20120302_223318.jpg

Not quite the same theory, but I think it does the same thing in the end. It was a HUGE difference when I put these tie-in plates to the body.

Stump that is such a great idea! Did you also tie one in at the back of the hood/cowl on a crossover tube in front? I had not considered an inside cage because I'm too damn big to sacrifice the room, and outside because I really did not want to cut holes into the interior for tie-in. Your plates avoid cutting through - that's great man! :D

My B and C Pillars do cut through the roof and floor. I just tied in on the outside to strengthen the body to the cage. I plan to tie in to the A pillar, near the windshield, but havent done it yet. The crossover tube does not tie into the body.

IMG_20120704_162038.jpg

IMG_20120306_144258.jpg

IMG_20120308_093345.jpg

IMG_20120308_093419.jpg

OMG that is sick! Really nice job man. Brings back memories of my road course racing days - having to paint tubes inside without trashing the interior ;)

Hay john d Are you worried about strength with no triangulation at your b piller? I like the idea of the cross bar right there, doesn't interfere with head room and looks to give room for the back seat.

Back