• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

girlfriend did a 4k rpm drop into drive

yodc

NAXJA Forum User
1989 xj
Manual transmission
170k miles

Okay so I've done a bit of searching, but because of the seemingly unique abuse the trans took I have not found a comparable issue (yet)

So I was drunk, and my girlfriend was sober so she was driving. She put it in reverse and backed into the street, lined up to drive off and ATTEMPED to drive off. In neutral it got to what sounded like 4k rpm, then she taped it down into drive.

Heard a loud bang, and now I have to shift manualy up and down. It creeps ever so slightly in drive from a stand still, and kicks real hard when I make the manual shifts. I also get a bad vibration around 50mph and at cold idle there is a terrible grinding crunching sound.

So the questions...

What specifically in the transmission is most likely fubar?
Would a generic transmission shop be capable of the repair?

I've handled motor swaps, clutch jobs, and numerous other indepth projects on my nissan. So I would like to do as much of this repair on my own. Even if all I do is pull it out for the transmission repair guy. I'm looking for any advice other than "get a used one"

Thanks in advance naxja!

im confused here... you posted that you have a manual tranny.

but your girlfriend "tapped it down into drive". and that you now "have to shift manually up and down." idk what kind of manual you have, but thats how my AX-15 has worked from the factory. mine has 1 through 5, no "creeping ever so slightly in drive".

I'm looking for any advice other than "get a used one"

Thanks in advance naxja!

get a new girlfriend with lower miles?

:dunno:

Last edited:
OK so you must have a little alcohol still in yah on this one.... lol or I am just reading into it to much.....

You say its an 89 with a manual trans = a manual trans

then you say she put it into drive = auto trans

then you say you have to shift it manually up and down.... = auto trans otherwise don't you do that on a stick any ways?

creeps ever so slow in drive = auto trans

So not trying to be a smart arse here but is it a stick or is it an auto? And is it 2wd or 4wd?

This is going to seem like a silly question, but here goes.

You have an '89 with a manual transmission, but your GF put it in "drive" and now you have to "manually" shift through the gears.

I'm going to assume that you have an automatic, since I'm pretty sure there's no "drive" or "reverse" stamped on the shift knob of an AX-5, AX-15 or a peugot.

Sounds like you snapped a bunch of important stuff in the torque converter. That's where I would start. Of course, if you did kill the converter, since it has fluid running through it, you've probably just sent all kinds of metallic contamination through the transmission.

So here's what you don't want to hear: You should probably get a used one and swap it out.

He has an auto tranny, but has to shift it manually now.......... I know that you dont want to hear it but id just find a junk yard tranny and swap it, would be way cheaper then taking it to a shop..... No brainer in my eyes.

Part it out. Your Nissan tools won't work on the Renix Jeeps. I was lucky to find a Bendix engineer who had retired and moved back from France. He sold
me his complete Renix tool set, plus the Snap-on Brick!

Let's see if this thread has as many replies as the guy who raced on public roads:)

1989 xj
Manual transmission
170k miles

Okay so I've done a bit of searching, but because of the seemingly unique abuse the trans took I have not found a comparable issue (yet)

So I was drunk, and my girlfriend was sober so she was driving. She put it in reverse and backed into the street, lined up to drive off and ATTEMPED to drive off. In neutral it got to what sounded like 4k rpm, then she taped it down into drive.

Heard a loud bang, and now I have to shift manualy up and down. It creeps ever so slightly in drive from a stand still, and kicks real hard when I make the manual shifts. I also get a bad vibration around 50mph and at cold idle there is a terrible grinding crunching sound.

So the questions...

What specifically in the transmission is most likely fubar?
Would a generic transmission shop be capable of the repair?

I've handled motor swaps, clutch jobs, and numerous other indepth projects on my nissan. So I would like to do as much of this repair on my own. Even if all I do is pull it out for the transmission repair guy. I'm looking for any advice other than "get a used one"

Thanks in advance naxja!

Please please forgive me, and I am glad you got home safe, but....

What all those other replies said ^^ heheh I apologize but I'm kinda cracking up reading through it.

OK sorry. You better have a look at that auto trans ASAP

Neutral drops, gotta love em. Yeah, you're tranny is fubar. Couple hundred for a ysed one and you're set.

I really miss the stuff I put on the net before I stopped drinking. LOL

Spend your beer money on a new tranny mount.

As for the girlfriend: Put the beer goggles on, take the beer goggles off, keep her if you want. She'll make her own decisions about keeping you.

Back