• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD not engaging after transfer case chain replacement

lweiman

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 91 Cherokee who's np 231 transfer case chain I replaced.

After the big ol job of replacing the chain, I found out that it does not engage into 4wd anymore.

it WAS engaging it into 4wd before, but after opening the case and moving things around and putting it back together, it does not engage anymore. It does not engage in 4 lo or 4 hi. When I put it in 4 lo, the rear wheels still go into a lower gear, but the front axle is not engaging.

The shift yoke can move into 4 hi and 4 lo, but the part-time 4wd light on the dash does not come on.

I was wondering if there is something really easy I could screw up while reassembling the transfer case that would keep the front axle from engaging. (I think I disassembled the case with the shift yoke in either in 4 lo or 4 hi and may have reassembled it while in the 2 wd position.)

Ill take a look at some pictures of how the transfer case works, and try to figure out how exactly the front axle toggles on and off, and see what i could have misassembled. If you have any advice and insight into my issue please respond!

Back