• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Read my spark splug ...

FlyNNN

NAXJA Forum User
I've recently changed my O2 sensor and installed 4 port injectors in my 1990 XJ DD. I installed these Bosch 2 spark plugs in 2004 and haven't touched them since. The gap is .025. Comments welcome on their look after a couple of weeks with the new components. 12 MP camera has difficulty focusing on macro, sorry.

spark1.jpg

spark2.jpg

I did check before the change. Clean looking tan color. I did not take a before snap shot. Filled up with e-free gas after the change. Low mileage driver here, only 31k miles driven since 2004. I'll review your link.

Were you running e free gas before this?

There are a few other links if you google "reading spark plugs". Might find better pics

For the last 20 years I've been running the cheapest gas I could find. Which usually means something around e10 for however long.

Yeah, those pictures on your link are of low Q. I'm looking around. Absolutely nothing on YouTube.

... The build up is commenly from the burning of oil or fuel additives.

Well, I did find some better looking photo to look at; http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm The only one that come close is what you suggested, ash fouled; "A build-up of combustion deposits stemming primarily from the burning of oil and/or fuel additives during normal combustion".

Its only been a couple weeks. I guess over time it could build up to look like that in the photo. Doesn't make sense though given the conditions.

I thought about ash fouled one to. Where did you get the O2 sensor? Bad O2 could have it running lean. Specs on the 4 port injectors. Also did you disconnect the battery when you did the work to rested the PCM so it can re-learn for the new parts?

...Where did you get the O2 sensor? Bad O2 could have it running lean. Specs on the 4 port injectors. Also did you disconnect the battery when you did the work to rested the PCM so it can re-learn for the new parts?

Walker O2. Jeep Liberty injectors. RENIX ECU, no reset required. See my YouTube videos taken during installation;

Injectors; http://youtu.be/Izj6q6o59L4
O2; http://youtu.be/TExI8YnNWzs

Actually, when a Renix O2 sensor fails, it goes to the richer side in a predetermined fuel map.
Since it's been 30,000 miles since plug change, why not put a new set of NGKs or Champion Coppers in gapped at .035?
Check to see if your intake manifold bolts need snugging up and spray for vacuum leaks around the intake and the vacuum hoses.

I will get some new plugs. I will also try the cheap fuel, e-10 again. I may have to try the old O2. A few things to try and will take a little time to trouble-shoot doing one at a time and waiting for results. Bothersome, being that the plugs looked good before the "improvements".

I think it says Germany on it......:laugh3:

With the buildup on the plug, I would wonder about a head gasket leak allowing a small amount antifreeze into the chamber.

I think it says Germany on it......:laugh3: With the buildup on the plug, I would wonder about a head gasket leak allowing a small amount antifreeze into the chamber.

Ha Ha! No German mocking! I'm going to NAPA and pick up some NGK's this afternoon. I'll also check the head gasket bolts as mentioned previously. Remember, I had nice tan color before I changed O2 and started running e-free fuel.

Update: Read my spark splug ...

Update: running the NGK coppers for a couple of weeks and a tank of e-free and the plugs look very good and clean. There has been no noticeable drive-ability change from the Bosch platinum's. Thanks ALL for your input. Sorry for the crappy pic again from my 12Mb camera which thinks it can do macro;

spark3.jpg

Last edited:
Back