• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Media/sand blasting

Peacefrog53

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone blasted their XJ before? Inside and out, bottom to top? I have a floorboard that needs to be replaced, plus i'm going to be lining the interior of the truck. Was thinking about getting a 40# blaster and going to town on the whole body. Then re-paint, and line the underbody as well.

suggestions comments.....flames...welcome... :farmer:

As Derek said, unless it is a show car, I'd clean it up with a wirebrush on a grinder and do your repair.

wouldnt hurt to blast any rust you can't cut out. but that's as far as i'd go.

Well my plan is to line the underbelly, and the interior with bedliner. And paint the whole body as well. I was just figuring that it would look a little better and be a little easier to do all that with raw metal as opposed to painted (however many times) surfaces. Plus I could use some bondo and guide coat to smooth out some of the minor dents and dings.....

I think i'm overdoing this....

But it would look SO MUCH BETTER

But cost a lot more....and take longer....

son of a dingle.

I just had a mini nightmare thinking about how hard it would be to blast off all the undercoating, and then trying Not to blast away all the body epoxy...

you know... What holds our station wagons together, along with a few spot welds...

Thats exactly what it sounded like....but I didn't want to believe that these grocery getters were ACTUALLY held together with rubber cement.

So to avoid having to buy some super glue and put the body back together, just sand a little....primer...paint.... and repeat in a year or so. lol

If you do the prep yourself and run it to one day paint shop, the results might surprise you. Do all the sanding and scuffing yourself, remove anything you can (bumpers, lights, antennas, etc.), and buy the GOOD paint job for about $6-800 and it will look pretty damned good for a long long time.

If you do the prep yourself and run it to one day paint shop, the results might surprise you. Do all the sanding and scuffing yourself, remove anything you can (bumpers, lights, antennas, etc.), and buy the GOOD paint job for about $6-800 and it will look pretty damned good for a long long time.
Light sand the ext, and "line X" it like i did to mine... $300, pick out any color and some elbow grease call it good. Why ruin a new shiny paint job... When i scrape along tight brush i dont get the "finger nail on chalkboard" sound just a little ruff sound lol

Light sand the ext, and "line X" it like i did to mine... $300, pick out any color and some elbow grease call it good. Why ruin a new shiny paint job... When i scrape along tight brush i dont get the "finger nail on chalkboard" sound just a little ruff sound lol
wish you picked another color, i meet all your friends around town since they all think i'm you lol

Back