• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are straight axle Jeep alignments all a scam?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
It is my understanding you can only adjust Toe, which can be done at home. Even right on Iron Rocks Tie Rod page it says: **Steering toe-in adjustment needed after installation. While a professional alignment is best, this can be done successfully at home using a tape measure.** So what all are shops doing for a minimum of $70? I paid at the dealer next to my work and got a refund as they corrected nothing. So what are the facts here? I have a new set of 33s about to go on, would like them not get all chopped up like my 31s

With that logic, oil change places are a scam. I mean, you know how to change the oil on your vehicle, so everyone else must know how as well.

It is my understanding you can only adjust Toe, which can be done at home. Even right on Iron Rocks Tie Rod page it says: **Steering toe-in adjustment needed after installation. While a professional alignment is best, this can be done successfully at home using a tape measure.** So what all are shops doing for a minimum of $70? I paid at the dealer next to my work and got a refund as they corrected nothing. So what are the facts here? I have a new set of 33s about to go on, would like them not get all chopped up like my 31s
"Chopped up tires" are more likely caused not by actual alignment but bad shocks and worn steering components. An alignment can do nothing for that. If the alignment tech is good and knows 4wd's and their problems, he may diagnose the problem and point you to whe worn components, but don't hold your breath.

With that logic, oil change places are a scam. I mean, you know how to change the oil on your vehicle, so everyone else must know how as well.

Well that is why I was asking, more to find out what they are doing besides turning an adjuster sleeve. I have heard they use shims, where? LCAs?

The stock LCA's have an adjuster built in to the lower frame bracket.
The alignment shop (OK, a good alignment shop) will have the rig/equipment to properly set caster, toe and axle center as well as square the axle (or whatever they call it) all in relation to each other.
And don't forget the shopr rate (avg up here is $80-125/hr)
Sure we can do most of that with a tape measure, but many people can't, or won't.

I can get close enough in my uneven gravel driveway, but close isn't good enough for me.

Scam? Not quite, it's all those damn mechanics ... they be scamming us all the buggers!

for the record ... that was a joke.

Last edited:
The adjuster is still there if using the factory LCA pocket, or DB's
There is one good shop near me, but i usually just do it with a tape, as they wont do anything but set toe unless i ask. Honestly i cant blame them. would you rather work on a 25 year old vehicle with no stock parts, or align a honda for the same $70?

Who has stock LCAS? haha

Most people who take their jeeps to alignment shops.

For that matter, it's not the LCAs themselves, it's the bracket on the frame that can be shimmed, so even with aftermarket fixed arms it's adjustable. And some D30s have cam bolts on the LCA mounts too.

And if you've gone far enough to do a longarm setup, chances are you've added more points of adjustability for an alignment shop to get everything perfect, provided the tech knows what he's looking at.

Not knowing much about your rig or how your tires are wearing, if they are wearing oddly you may want to look into replacing worn out components. I fought death wobble for a while and replaced alot of components with upgraded adjustable parts as well as had the alignment spot on. While the death wobble went away. I did notice that the tires had a slightly unusual wear to them. Not enough to be a big deal but it kind of bugged me. I also had a slight knock noise under certain driving situations that I could not pin point. Finally I decided it might be the ball joints since they hadn't ever been changed during the whole life of the Jeep (97 XJ with 210,000 miles at time of change). While they did not exhibit any excessive movement, I changed them anyways. It got rid of the knock noise and now the tire wear is nice and even! I am currently at 45,000 miles on my 33x12.50 KM2s with plenty of tread left that I expect to get atleast 60,000 miles out of these tires before I NEED to swap them out.

So check your ball joints since they may be the cause of you unusual tire wear. I picked up mine here http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=167752

They are OEM Spicer ball joints. The original spicer joints made it 15 years and 210,000 miles before wearing out so I figured they were a safe bet to go with again.

Thats my .02 cents, hope you get it figured out!

Thanks, I am at 4" on 31s. Ball joints are new, as well as track bar, shocks and coils. Just replaced tie rod, so that is only think I can think of as a cause besides the alignment. It was cutting the mud terrain lugs so that every other one was lower and angled. It looked like a leather back turtle after a short period of being on. Since new ones will be here soon trying to understand all that can be done to fight that.

tape measure easily can set your toe to spec, its not that difficult if you just take your time and have the right tools. pipe wrench and a 13 or 15mm socket/wrench.

you can do more to an xj then just adjusting toe. just not many people care to go further then that. HOWEVER alignment racks have come in handy for me and others. Especially if you are getting new meats under your rig and you dont want the inside of the tire to wear, feather edge, etc. My point being that it is not a scam. like others have stated it really depends on the shop. Is it more difficult to properly adjust the caster camber on an xj compared to a new honda...yes....but it all matters on who your dealing with. Awhile ago after my lift was installed i had an alignment shop put it on their rack so i can get some specs had them print out the alignment graph and went from there. check rear thrust angle (bout all you can do with the rear SRA) and front caster, camber, toe. Now it tracks down the road great and the tires are wearing minimally but the right way no excessive wear towards any certain part of the tire. Also properly adjustments help the suspension cycle properly.

All an all you can just use them from a "finding where your at" point of view or a "starting point" then take it back home with out getting them to adjust anything and read and understand the alignment chart and adjust accordingly.

I was convinced I needed a good professional alignment when I was fighting death wobble.

When the alignment tech, who comes highly recommended around here, told me that a new steering stabilizer was all I needed to fix my death wobble AND they wouldn't adjust my caster with my adjustable LCA's because they are not stock I took a pass on his work.

I replaced all the worn out components, and some that was almost worn out (multiplier effect anyone?) and killed my death wobble.

I followed the information on the link whitexj98 posted and aligned my own stuff just right and I couldn't be happier with the $70 I saved.

Back