• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross over pipe crack-up

WI88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
On my wife’s 2000 I’ve had to replace the cross over pipe twice before and now I have to do it again. We’ve had this since new.

It’s the pipe that goes from the exhaust manifold, crosses behind the pan and hooks to the cat. Right near the trans xmember is a hanger for this pipe. Where the hanger is welded to the pipe is where it cracks and tears out a big hole EVERY time!!

When the factory pipe cracked I stuck a cheap galvanized pipe in there. 3 or 4 yrs later I get a better pipe for a bit more money. Still did it. So what unatainium material should I look for in the next pipe? I’m sick of replacing them.

Any other long time owners going thru this with theirs? Stainless?

Tranny (snicker :laugh3: ) mount and both engine mounts were changed about 20k back.

The flex pipe idea may work. I didn't think there was too much torque on the pipe because the hanger hangs from a rubber grommet. I figured that took up the vibration. Maybe not enough...

I had the same problem several years ago. The problem is that you've got either motor mounts or transmission mount that's shot.

I would engineer a different hanger set-up. souske has the right idea. Cut the pipe, put in a flex. Hang it on either side with some sort of universal hanger set-up.

You can get a nice flex piece at AutoZone for $25. You'd have to cut out about 6-8" of pipe and 2 clamps...or weld.

I had the same problem several years ago. The problem is that you've got either motor mounts or transmission mount that's shot.

They're still like new Jeff

Tranny mount and both engine mounts were changed about 20k back....

I would engineer a different hanger set-up. souske has the right idea. Cut the pipe, put in a flex. Hang it on either side with some sort of universal hanger set-up.

You can get a nice flex piece at AutoZone for $25. You'd have to cut out about 6-8" of pipe and 2 clamps...or weld.

I really think this is the ticket. I could put it in the section that crosses behind the oil pan...

I thought mine were, too. New trans mount and M.O.R.E. bombproofs, zero issues. Before replacing the mounts, I went through 2 hangers in under a year.

I'd strongly suggest a flex pipe behind the oil pan / under the bellhousing like you are thinking. I haven't had trouble yet, but if I ever do, I'm putting one in there. Joe Peters had a similar issue and fixed it like this.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I believe this is the ticket. I wouldn't even change the hanger. Near the exhaust manifold the pipe is short enough that it doesn't need extra support and the hanger that keeps breaking wil hold that end of the exhaust system up well.

I looked the mounts over again last nite and they're still stiff like new. My receipt says they're a year and 1/2 old. I have m.o.r.e. bomb proof mounts up front on my trail rig and I would never run them on the wifes XJ. Way too noisy w/all the vibrations.

Brewfest this weekend and a few other distractions aside, I've got to get off my butt and do it. My wife is sick of the pickup :)

Back