• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 pads/rotors on an 01 help?

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
I got sent pads and rotors for a 91 4x4 model and I need brakes on my 2001 2wd. Can someone tell me if these will work or if I need to modify or change anything? Its so freaking slow and expensive to get parts shipped here to Germany I'm hoping this can be done. I'd really appreciate some "moron level" input on this... I can wrench but knowing what fits what gets really brain frying. Please post up guys... Thanks!

The pads should work, but I don't think the rotors will...I think the rotors for 00-01 are different and will not work with your unit bearings

So that's one yes, one no, and one maybe/partially...? Lol! Thanks guys....Kinda how I'm feeling from thinking of ways to try and search this. I guess the next thing is to put the Jeep on the lift, pull a tire and try it. I guess the worst that could happen is it doesn't fit, right? I really hope it does but it hasn't been my luckiest week for jeep. :)

Great linky JS... Thank you! I think I get it now, DOH! Based on what it says the break (no pun intended) is 99.5 for the rotors and 90 for the calipers. Its a guess but I think the pads from the 91 will work on what I have so I may just try and sand them clean a little and see if it helps. The rotors I guess I'm stuck with unless I want to order some pre 99.5 unit bearings... which again seems like it would work.
Thanks for all the help guys... Now if someone wants to come help...haha!

I played this game once.

As long as the rotors match the unit bearing height you're good.

If it doesn't, when you tighten the wheel on it will lock up, because the rotor gets shoved into the caliper.

Pretty sure the pads will work for you.

for reference I had a 99 axle, late model unit bearings and rotors, but 87 style knuckles/calipers/pads.

Your rotors have a different mounting depth than the early ones. I was stationed in Hanau in the early 90's for 3 years. I loved it there. See if you can hook up with a GI stationed over there, they can order the parts for you at the parts store on base. They might even stock the parts.

Lol... I am a GI. :) I'm stationed in Vilseck (Rose Barracks) and I've tried several ways to order stuff and it all has been a disappointment so far. PX/AAFES gets it in around 7-10 business days but charges a premium. Mail order stuff is usually less expensive on the initial cost but crush you on shipping due to USPS being the monopoly player to an APO address.
Example: I ordered some gaskets (pan, valve cover, rear main seal X2, and the harmonic bal/timing chain cover set. All less than 5 lbs total and about 90 bucks in parts. Shipping was another 87 bucks and it took 4 weeks and 2 days to arrive. If I'm gonna get raped for shipping costs you'd at least think it would get here sooner...ya know? *shrugs*

Pads will work since they're for a 4x4 model.

Rotors will only work if you use 99.0 and earlier unit bearings as well.

SO without sounding like Mr Cheapo extraordinaire... Would unit bearings from a 4x4 Grand cherokee from 1999 or older work on my 2wd axle and with the 91 stuff? :O

98 or older should I think. 99 is a WJ and using those is a pretty big can of worms...

edit: yes, 98 and older ZJ will work.

i think it's only 1989.5-1999.5 unit bearings. somewhere around 1989 they changed them when they changed the knuckle design from 2 piece to one piece. i found this out the hard way, which is why i mention it lol
rotors and callipers are different too.

yeah, that's all RENIX crap I try to stay away from.

Also that's all cool for 4wd vehicles. 2wd are wacky and unique until midway through 92. After that they're exactly the same as 4wd just with a dummy stub axle through the unit bearing to hold it together.

yeah, that's all RENIX crap I try to stay away from.

Also that's all cool for 4wd vehicles. 2wd are wacky and unique until midway through 92. After that they're exactly the same as 4wd just with a dummy stub axle through the unit bearing to hold it together.
yea i had no clue until i tried to put my brakes on a renix axle i swapped in a little while ago. ended up having to change the knuckles and bearings.
interesting to know about the 2wd crap, i thought it was all the same.

Back