• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locking gas cap?

Has anyone added a locking gas cap to their XJ, if so, let me know where you got it. Wal-Mart sells the Stant, but I’m not sure about the quality. Does Chrysler/Jeep make one that will work with the factory ignition key? My XJ is a 2000 if that matters.

I've never seen one that uses the original key, but Mopar does or did make a cap that fits. I never got along very well with these, but they exist. I think somewhere I have one, and will look later. If I find it you can have it. I don't recall that it was much better than others, but it may have been better made and less likely to fail.

Just make sure you show the wife how to open it ... it'll save her and the gas attendant the embarassment later.

I got a locking gas cap from a dealer for my 07 Jeep 5 years back that used my factory key...was installed and keyed after I bought the vehicle. Might be worth calling any local dealer to ask if they now have these for the XJ, too.

They do make the aftermarket ones for your 2000 though, http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fuel-c...oogle&utm_medium=productfeed&utm_campaign=cse

As said above, most auto parts stores that carry them should be able to get that easily since it also covers a ton of other applications.

Here in CA, our smog tests pressure test the fuel caps... have fun with the cheap locking caps... they'll fail you before they hook up the sniffer.

edit: whoops... wouldve sworn you were a socal'er.

Last edited:
Back