• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another no start

troy0873

NAXJA Forum User
So i go out to my 93 xj 5-speed today open the door dome comes on, buzzer buzzing, turn the key starter clicks and nothing. Flip the ignition back and forth nothing, close the door and open it dome light is back on, turn the key, nothing. So i close the door and open it dome light is on again pushed the brake pedal all power shuts down again. Tried the winch just clicks and power goes away then comes back after a few minutes,but the horn will work and the electric fan will work. any advice on this would be great as i am a wiring idiot.

Dead battery? Check all fuses and grounds. Just because the min lights and things come one doesn't mean there are enough cranking amps to turn the motor over.

You and i have different versions of idiot, reguardless of what kind of idiot you might be. You never gave any specifics on what you checked other than the problem is why i started with the basics.

So, did you check the battery? Did you check/clean the terminals? Did you check your battery cables? Sounds like you are not getting enough power from your battery.
Pssst... Calixj gave you a "captain obvious" answer because your problem sounds OBVIOUS!

My shade tree mechanic method of checking the battery is to turn on the headlights and then try to beep the horn. Both pull a fair amount of current. If the horn does not work, most likely you have a bad battery or corroded terminals.

A battery will have more than enough to turn on the lights and honk the horn and still not have enough to crank the engine, especially if the starter is old.

From your response I expect that you have done all the usual checks as others have posted concerning corroded battery cables, fuses and tightness of cable connectors.
You indicate have done some troubleshooting..., but what have you done?
What is the voltage at the battery with the cables disconnected ?
You have checked the fuses, but have you checked the fusible links.

Once you provide us with more information of what you have found so far; we will help you disagnose further.

Back