• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut and drill Sway Bar?

FuryIII

NAXJA Forum User
I installed RC's drop brackets this week and added an inch to the 4 1/2" or so to my lift. Problem is to keep the pinion angle good I had to increase the length of my lower arms, uppers are in as far as they'll go. So now the axle's moved forward some and the sway bar's going to hit the springs. I know there are relocation mounts but that would mean I have to remove the front shield that came with the Upcountry. I like that sheild, it keeps some of the bigger crap from the front of the engine. I have JKS's discos and even extending them as far as I dare (gotta keep at least a few threads for strength), the sway bar still hits.
So, has anyone cut and drilled into the swaybar to relocate the mounting holes for discos? In the pics below the blue is where I want to cut to and the red's where I want to re-drill. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

NO! just move the sway-bar forward somebody makes a kit to do it but i've done it with hardware from lowes and a tap and die
(PS you need longer front brake lines)

Last edited:
IMG_0690.jpg

Cutting and redrilling the swaybar ends would just be a bandaide to the real problem.
In this picture the coils appear to be bowed forward which indicates you need to adjust the control arms some more to change the pinion angle/caster (factory settings 5-7*) angle. I have heard of XJ owners cutting down the length of the upper control arms for more adjustablility.

IMG_0690.jpg

Cutting and redrilling the swaybar ends would just be a bandaide to the real problem.
In this picture the coils appear to be bowed forward which indicates you need to adjust the control arms some more to change the pinion angle/caster (factory settings 5-7*) angle. I have heard of XJ owners cutting down the length of the upper control arms for more adjustablility.

I know the front coils are bowed, but that's what it took to get the pinion angle dead on. Believe me, every turn of the lower's screw made me wince, I don't see how to cut JKS' uppers, there not like regular adjustables.

I did order sway drop bracket from RC. As for the shield, I've got 2x2 square stock and fab drops for that. It's more of a debri shield than as skid any way, keeps the brush out of the belts.

Get the JKS discos designed for that lift height and you won't need to redrill or move anything. JKS instructions recommend the swaybar be pointing up 10 degrees to be most effective.

Back