• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what engine is this

the stig

NAXJA Forum User
DSCN4220.jpg

So this is the new Willys in our family....
We have started working on her , but need some help with the engine.... What is it???
We have looked around and think it is a studebaker linghting L6 , but we are not sure
Thank for any help!!!!

DSCN4222.jpg

DSCN4224.jpg

DSCN4223.jpg

DSCN4219.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that is the Willys L134 "Go Devil" flathead 4 cylinder

Uhm yeah, I can't count! Thats a 6-226 Hurricane

Last edited:
I work with a guy that has a 54 with all V8 IH Scout 2 drive train in it, Even the axles. He said it was a easy swap.

I'd ditch the flathead and go V-8 or do a HO 4.0 swap for coolness.

Yeah I would love to do that and life it. But we got it for my girl and she wants to keep it all OG.!

Nothing wrong with keeping it OG but I'd consider a V6 4.3 vortec Chevy. They made them for years and pick a part is full of Astro vans with them. Great power, economy, and reliable. It won't leave her stranded and she can walk into any auto parts for parts!

A fresh rebuild on the engine with modern parts (bearings and such), rebuild the carburetor and a Pertronics ignition upgrade , the engine will run reliably for a long time. It looks in pretty good shape and looks all stock. These are getting harder to find. If you like the body style and want to mod it like I would, I'd find one that has the engine swapped out already.

Last edited:
Back