• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 Lock Right Installed in 8.25 Tested

BatmanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I will try to explain the best I can.
All of this was done to a 8.25 27 sp thinking it was a Dana 35 27 sp

I bought a Dana 35 locker from a guy on here used. He sent me a new set of springs and pins and it was $125 shipped pretty good deal. I got the locker in and decided to install. I also decided to replace the axel seals and rear brakes at this time.
I went to Oreillys and got brakes and seals for the Dana 35. (not knowing I had 8.25)
Next morning I installed the brakes but couldn’t do the seals. I got the wrong ones from Oreilly's. (Should have been 8.25 still didn't know lol) Finished the brakes and went to part store old seal in-hand and got the correct seals. (Apparently 8.25 seals haha)

Installed Locker into rear-end.
I had one issue while installing and homebrew fixed on the fly. The C-Clips were too big to fit into the washer that is supposed to slide over c-clip and lip of other washer. I decided to grind down the outside of the C-clip. I ground down the outside to fit perfectly inside the washer. Leaving the inside diameter the same. Put everything back together and tested it out. It works great.
Went on a ride the next weekend and it was flawless. I never lost traction. Did get stuck but had traction the whole time.
This is how the locker acts
Under power it pulls both tires no click no slippage
Coasting Clicks some and stops when power applied.
Parking lot turning does not let loose under power.

This is a Dana 35 Locker 27 SP installed in a 8.25 27 Sp rear. I don’t know why it works or if it is even supposed to work but it does. I don’t know if it will tear up anything or not there is really no way to tell since I am apparently the first person to do this haha. I would think that it would be less likely to break since the Axle shafts are supposed to be larger on the 8.25 which means the Dana 35 locker side gear fits better on the 8.25 than it would on the Dana 35. I don't know why the slide gear fits onto the shaft if it is supposed to be bigger.
Here are some pics of the locker installed in the rear and of my rear also of the ride that I went on with it installed. I am going to try to contact Richmond and ask them about it. It is possible that the Dana 35 locker is completely compatible with the 8,25 and they just don't advertise it.
2012-07-28_12-36-04_300.jpg

2012-07-28_11-18-09_62.jpg

2012-07-28_11-18-05_148.jpg

IMG952129.jpg

I also used the 8.25 Pinion Shaft since I did not receive one from the guy I bought the locker from. I don't know if that was the key to the whole thing or not. I Know the gap looks large but the locker does work.

A D-35 locker will fit a D-30 but this is a first for me!

I don't know if it will hurt anything or not. I'm very familiar with the 8.25 rear and I can't answer this one.

Nominated!

IDK. I just figured this out last week haha. My plan is to find a good deal on a locker for an 8.25 and put this one in the front. Since its in there and working I might as well leave it. worst case I brake it and I have a spare 8.25 whole axle in my donor jeep. If it actually holds up it could be a way for people to save money since the Dana 35 locker is cheaper than the 8.25

A D-35 locker will fit a D-30 but this is a first for me!

I don't know if it will hurt anything or not. I'm very familiar with the 8.25 rear and I can't answer this one.

I have looked High and low and I think its just that I had all of the right circumstances for it to work. My work around to the c-clips without wondering why they didn't fit haha. and using the 8.25 carrier pin since the seller didn't send me one. Or it is just supposed to work and Richmond don't say that to make it different haha.

I for one, Find this to be Neat! weather or not there are clearance issues that could self clearance, or whatever the case is.. I'd be very curious how things are going 6 months from now.

I guess square pegs do fit in round holes.

Wow. this is just...well......wow.
im curious if it grenades if its from the locker/axle scenario or the fact you bury the axle in mud and are gonna dick it up that way.

Wow. this is just...well......wow.
im curious if it grenades if its from the locker/axle scenario or the fact you bury the axle in mud and are gonna dick it up that way.

Haha. I'm threw with the mud stuff now. I'm tired of cleaning it up haha. We are going to Super-lift ORV park for Labor Day weekend. That will be the real test on the locker. I will try to keep it updated on how its lasting.

I for one, Find this to be Neat! weather or not there are clearance issues that could self clearance, or whatever the case is.. I'd be very curious how things are going 6 months from now.

I will try to keep it updated. There are at least 100 miles on the locker so far. I drove it 87 miles to the ride and 37 miles during the ride and a little since.

I wish you the best of luck with this combo, I just feel that if the tolerances were acceptable, The mfg. would use one part number for both applications

I guess square pegs do fit in round holes.

Round pegs can fit in square holes..... :attom:

The 27 spline D35 axle diameter is 1.18" at bearing end and 1.05" at the C clip end.
The 27 spline C8.25 axle diameter is 1.17" at the bearing end and 1.05"(?) at the C clip end.
The major differences that I can see are the ring gear diameter 7.58" vs 8.25" and the axle tube diameter 2.62" vs 3.0".

I'm worried about locker clearances and cross shaft diameter TBH. I'd have to do a lot more measuring than I'm willing to do to find out if this is an OK fit or not.

Did you pull the carrier to install it or do it inside the axle housing? The 8.25 uses no alignment/preload shims, rather side adjusters are used, so if you pulled the carrier and didn't carefully realign them and check your gear pattern there's a good chance you are trashing your diff gears right now.

Also, I believe the nomination was for not realizing you have completely the wrong axle. This is why it's best to check before you start rather than after, it's not like 35s and 8.25s look the same or anything.

Most of the time on a 8.25 stock 3.55 gear set, you can change to a LBL without any grinding to the RG teeth or have to remove the carrier. Now if you are running a 4.10 or lower, the RG starts getting thick and to install/remove the center pin will require teeth grinding.

I'm worried about locker clearances and cross shaft diameter TBH. I'd have to do a lot more measuring than I'm willing to do to find out if this is an OK fit or not.

Did you pull the carrier to install it or do it inside the axle housing? The 8.25 uses no alignment/preload shims, rather side adjusters are used, so if you pulled the carrier and didn't carefully realign them and check your gear pattern there's a good chance you are trashing your diff gears right now.

Also, I believe the nomination was for not realizing you have completely the wrong axle. This is why it's best to check before you start rather than after, it's not like 35s and 8.25s look the same or anything.

Haha. I didn't have to remove the carrier. The pin slid right out and the install was less than an hour total for the locker. Brakes took twice the time of the locker install. I agree it is stupid to have done but hey If I figured out something new in the process its cool too haha. I'm Mechanically inclined but that doesn't make me an expert. I took the word of someone that I thought knew when I was told that I had a Dana 35. Now that I know this I have done a ton of research and know alot more. I have also corrected the idiot that told me I had a Dana 35 haha.

Round pegs can fit in square holes..... :attom:

The 27 spline D35 axle diameter is 1.18" at bearing end and 1.05" at the C clip end.
The 27 spline C8.25 axle diameter is 1.17" at the bearing end and 1.05"(?) at the C clip end.
The major differences that I can see are the ring gear diameter 7.58" vs 8.25" and the axle tube diameter 2.62" vs 3.0".

IDK about all that. I am going to measure the old spider gears with a MIC when I get a chance. I'm working out of town alot right now so no idea when im going to get the chance to do this.

While it's kind of surprising that different manufacturers use spline patterns close enough that they are roughly compatible, I don't find it too surprising that a 27 spline Dana axle is the same dia. as a Chrysler 27 spline axle.
The biggest surprise here is that the Dana dif. carrier and the Chrysler dif. carrier have similar interior dimensions. I guess if it's close enough for the clutches to lock, it'll work.

Back