• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix

91XJBUBBA

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know much about the Renix, my buddy just got a 85 I6 4x4. Battery is good, just replaced the starter, and starter relay and solenoid. When you turn the key, all you get is a "click" and you need to really be listening to hear the "click"

Thoughts??? How can you check if the ignition switch is bad?

Thanks a bunch

Don't know much about the Renix, my buddy just got a 85 I6 4x4. Battery is good, just replaced the starter, and starter relay and solenoid. When you turn the key, all you get is a "click" and you need to really be listening to hear the "click"

Thoughts??? How can you check if the ignition switch is bad?

Thanks a bunch

I dont think 85 is a Renix, nor did it come in I6 engine. 85 had either a 2.5L or a 2.8 V-6 GM engine

I dont think 85 is a Renix, nor did it come in I6 engine. 85 had either a 2.5L or a 2.8 V-6 GM engine

correct. The 4.0 didn't show up until 87.

Regardless, AMC probably left most of the chassis wiring alone. I'd check the brown wires at the ignition switch, and I'd check the two big orange/red wires at the top of the fuseblock. Those are the primary circuits that feed power into the interior/ignition stuff from the engine bay.

If you are getting a click, current is flowing to the relay and/or solenoid which suggests the switch is okay, at least for the next round of tests. Has he checked and cleaned (not just looked at) all battery cables?

correct. The 4.0 didn't show up until 87.

Regardless, AMC probably left most of the chassis wiring alone. I'd check the brown wires at the ignition switch, and I'd check the two big orange/red wires at the top of the fuseblock. Those are the primary circuits that feed power into the interior/ignition stuff from the engine bay.

That is correct. Renix multiport fuel injection started in 1987 on the I6.

My 85 wiring (2.5L) for starter, ignition, etc is almost exactly like the 87 and 89 Renix I have.

OP, Check the small relay near the battery first!!!! It is feeds the bendix-solenoid on the starter itself.

Back