• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan bolt mounts and helicoils

Guerillastyle

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody, long time lurker first time poster.
Recently I did my RMS, oil pump and oil pan gasket. While torque the oil pan back into place I mistakenly over torqued and few bolts.
The main question I have is regarding whether or not I need to drain the oil pan and drop the pan in order to tap some helicoils into place.

Hello everybody, long time lurker first time poster.
Recently I did my RMS, oil pump and oil pan gasket. While torque the oil pan back into place I mistakenly over torqued and few bolts.
The main question I have is regarding whether or not I need to drain the oil pan and drop the pan in order to tap some helicoils into place.

Yah. The holes in the sheetmetal pan are clearance-drilled for 1/4" screws, but you're going to go rather larger than that to do a Heli-Coil. It's easier with the sump out of the way...

when you have the pan off check the rails with a straightedge too if you overtorqued enough to strip the holes in the block you might have dimpled the rails too, if you did just take a ball pein hammer and straighten 'em out again.

Have you considered just tapping to the next size step?

If you wanted to avoid pulling the pan, you could allways use a single flute countersink to clearance the oil pan away from the hole in the block. It will slightly chamfer the hole in the block, but i usually do that anyway, there should be enough meat for the threads anyway.

Have you considered just tapping to the next size step?

If you wanted to avoid pulling the pan, you could allways use a single flute countersink to clearance the oil pan away from the hole in the block. It will slightly chamfer the hole in the block, but i usually do that anyway, there should be enough meat for the threads anyway.

The only problem with that is that you now have an odd-size screw that you need to keep track of - yes, there are already the four 5/16"-18 screws on the oil sump, but they're at the ends of the rails. Keeping track of one mid-rail can be a pain...

I honestly prefer the idea of not having to drop the pan again due to the fact of reseating the gasket being a PITA; went through 3 gaskets before I got it "right". I definitely want to tackle this problem before the winter comes, as working on the car would be even more of a nightmare.

Back