• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep freaked out this AM

boncrshr

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, 4.0, automatic, 2WD, 220K.. So I was driving down the freeway and the check engine light came on, all gauges went dead and the odometer said what appeared to be "no bu5". The jeep ran just fine, but I pulled off the freeway and when I came to a stop, everything started functioning perfectly again??

I honestly don't know what it is, but this has happened on my wifes 98 a few times in the past and freaked her out driving down the road. It would run fine and all the guages would freak out. She would just keep driving and it would just go back to normal. I never tracked down what was causing it as it has not happened in about two years.

IIRC, it's a connector problem on the back of the gauge panel. Pull the panel, clean the connector contacts and reassemble.

Was it the check engine light, or the check gauges light?

Check the connections on the back of the instrument panel to make sure they aren't loose or corroded.

"When I went to your institutional learning facilities..." Thanks guys...could be just had the dash out for heater core....cleaned contacts but perhaps not seated good. I will take a look...

Mine does that once or twice every drive. just push in the guage pannel and it all pops back to life

Not uncommon with the 97-01.

Remove cluster, thoroughly spray the connector with electrical contact cleaner, add a generous dab of dielectric grease and reconnect.

Usually resolves.

Back