• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent my tie rod, should I go ZJ rod or something better?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished my second locker install last night. Went for test drive/crawl. I drove up on a big concrete storm drain in the rain and the Jeep slid off landing on my tie rod. Now I live in Central Florida, and do not really have any rocks other then Ocala which is 2 hrs away. Should I just get a ZJ rod which I hear is stronger, or do I get something better? thanks

539035_4315139927001_1409327995_n.jpg

You can do a ZJ tierod(cheaper upgrade) or get a 1ton setup and never have to worry about those little tre's going bad or bending the steering somewhere else.

Last edited:
zj is pretty beef, if you're not hitting many rocks, i think you'd be fine if you're not on 35's or bigger

x3 on the ZJ rod.

its over the counter at any parts store. and i have a couple buddies who are bending their stock drag link before their ZJ tie rod.

Yeah i switched mine to a DOM style tie rod and ended up bending my drag link where the steering dampner and tie rod connect to it. Best bet is to upgrade the whole shootin match and be done with it. Currie and IRO sell nice kits. Or just do an OAT mount and run a 1.25 or 1.5 DOM/heim cross over steering. :dunno:

For clarity, you know you need the V8 ZJ piece, right? The 4.0 is the same as the XJ...

Very happy with mine, locked on 35s. I do go through ends every couple/few years, but replacements are cheap and available everywhere...

Robert

For clarity, you know you need the V8 ZJ piece, right? The 4.0 is the same as the XJ...

Very happy with mine, locked on 35s. I do go through ends every couple/few years, but replacements are cheap and available everywhere...

Robert

Good call Robert. Should have specified the V8 ZJ tie rod. I agree in the availability of TREs and they are quite easy to change.

Given the op's style and location, the zj unit should work fine.

I too bent my draglink using a zj tie rod. I'm working on fabbing up an otk zj setup a la gojeep. I think the stuff is strong enough, but that it just needs clearance.

I realized it I needed the 5.2 one after I pulled one from a six. The 8cyl ones are hard to come by in a yard. guess I'll just order new

What do you expect, it's Currie? Granted, their ish is extremely well designed, built, and backed up.

Do you guys notice any tighter or looser steering when you swap to say 1-ton's or the ZJ setup? Not because of worn parts, but the dead spot issue.

Back