• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally got an Xj again!

RedneckIn_Progress

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody, my name is Tye and I have been a member since I was 15 but was never very active as you can tell by my post count. Now after being out of the jeep family for about a year and not having an Xj since I was 18 I finally have one again. I managed to trade my crappy but slightly cool bronco II for an 89 Cherokee. It's a 2 door that supposedly has a 4.0 HO transplanted into it with an (again supposedly) ax15. It has a low pinion Dana 30 from a 98 zj up front and a stock Dana 35 with a Detroit locker in the rear. It has a rustys 4.5 inch lift kit. It's sitting on some craptastic 31" tires of various makes but can fit 33"s easily. The body has no clear coat left and they rattle canned part of the front clip.

The only major issues is that the brakes don't work and the steering is so worn out it has a death wobble that is so bad it feels like you're in a 10.0 earthquake. the brakes jus feel like they have a ton of air in them. It has a new master cylinder and I don't think they bench bled it.

I plan on buying some 33's for it ASAP. I was thinking of getting some mastercraft courser mt's but I'm not totally set on anything yet.

95341d6c.jpg

0cad637a.jpg

Here is the only major dent
b134311f.jpg

The interior isnt horrible, but the seats are pretty much toast.
d17cf2fa.jpg

Looks like you have your work cut out for ya, but headed In the right direction!! Welcome back

This thing is in way better condition than my bronco II. This runs great, the tranny shifts great and the gears are tight, it's already locked in the rear.

One thing I forgot to mention is I have a dana 44 front axle lined up for me to buy. I just gift get some cash together. Once I get that I'm gonna 3 link it.

Hey, I'm pretty sure we saw you on Archers Firebreak a while ago. I can't really remember when that was, Feb? April? May? Maybe sometime last year?

Haha yeah I ended up leaving it parked on the side of the road because the coils kept popping because I needed limiting straps.

I was also up there about a month ago during the jolly jeepers event. I believe it was back to basics.

Last edited:
Foamy engine brighted the engine and the "custom painted" valve cover had most of the paint come off. And that copper thing by the battery in the radiator hose is a thermostat that the P.O. Put in.

d3ce82ea.jpg

And I'm thinking I need to get sOme shackles to level this thing out.

2f326041.jpg

So after some closer inspection we found that while my steering is pretty much toast it's not what is causing my death wobble. It's actually one of the ends of my track bar being worn out. I can turn the tire back and forth real quick and the front of the jeep moves back and forth while the tires stay straight. It's an adjustable track bar so I'm hoping I can find a new end down at naPa!

So I'm gonna need some new tires for this thin before I do any wheeling. I'm looking at the Goodyear wrangler mtr's, but I can't decide between 33's or 35's. I know about how bad d30's are and all that. I plan to swap in a Dana 44 eventually. And I won't be doing to much driving with it so I'm leaning towards 35's. I just need some more input before I make a decision I guess.

Buddy of mine is running those 35" mtr's and loves them. they wear good, and grip well, especially when yur locked. The tread depth on those will swallow a small child. He's still got a D35 under his TJ, and wheels hard enough that that thing shoulda broke by now. I think go with what you'll eventually want, (which sounds like the 35's) ...as long as you have the room for them. You dont want to be rubbin and limiting articulation just to have a bigger tire. But i'd keep the D44 on the top of your short list after that.

Found some 35x12.5x15 BFG KM1's. They are around 30-40% and will last me the winter i think. I also got a drive line but it's to long so I'm gonna need to shorten the thing up, and the guy i bought the drive line from is gonna trade me tie rod and drag links from his parts rig. So i should be ready to wheel pretty soon! Just gotta get some u joints for the d30 before they die on me!!!

Back