• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Top dead center & Timing Help

scott1757

NAXJA Forum User
Alright fellas, here's my dilemma.

First here's my stats. 1993 4.0 AW4. 146K miles.

I had a Bad head gasket, well in the midst of the job I was waiting on my head to get back from the shop, (valve job), well I had the bright idea to change out the harmonic balancer and timing chain, since I was there.

Well I removed everything cleaned the top of the pistons etc... while doing that, I turned the crank. so Timing is history. I have the head back on. No push rods rockers or timing set.

My question is, how do I set the timing from here. Top dead center # 1piston on compression stroke? also the camshaft has moved. Can I set the crankshaft to the right position and then base everything else off of that? I know I need to make sure my valves are closed on the compression stroke. How to get there escapes me. I've searched and searched to no avail, I think I have a pretty good idea on how to get there, but if someone has a step by step process I should take I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

W/o the cam hooked up TDC is TDC, no compression or exhaust stroke. Set crank at TDC and install the timing set dot to dot. Move cam if necessary to line it up. It only goes on one correct way.

Back