• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tailpipe Hanger

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
Mine succumbed to rust. Looks like Mopar and everyone else doesn't make them anymore. There's a universal made by Walker and Dynomax however the 2 pieces of rubber that look like they are supposed to come together at the top to put the bolts through, don't. Anyone have ideas what to do? Not interested in coat hangers although they would work for awhile. :laugh:

Thanks in advance

What I did,,,,, Take the universal hanger with the 2 short rubber straps. I had the NAPA # close ;caus I just had to replace mine,,,,
Anyway,grind out top rivet and remove long multi hole strap.
Find suitable scrap metal strip or bend strap and bolt to frame rail thru hitch or skid plate mounting bolt.
My top mount is about 1/4 or 3/8 steel bent 90* and 3/4" wide
Napa # EXH 35103

Last edited:
I used the same hanger as Wayne, but cut the strap instead of the taking out the rivet, and bolted it to a bracket from another hanger.

Stock replacement part is 36377. Anyone that carries Walker parts should be able to get one if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
It came with the metal plate with the two studs welded to it as shown in the picture on napa website. I replaced the plate, looped the rubber part and pushed it onto the studs, and secured with the small plate and nuts. Then you use a regular u-bolt to attach the tail pipe to the J shaped bracket riveted to the rubber piece.

It came with the metal plate with the two studs welded to it as shown in the picture on napa website. I replaced the plate, looped the rubber part and pushed it onto the studs, and secured with the small plate and nuts. Then you use a regular u-bolt to attach the tail pipe to the J shaped bracket riveted to the rubber piece.

Thank you. To tell you the whole story the Napa counter guy first sold me the wrong tailpipe AND the wrong muffler. When I got that straightened out the right muffler wouldn't fit onto the cat without using a stretcher. I wasn't about to do that so I returned the whole mess including clamps and ordered a flowmaster catback kit from Rusty's Offroad. It should be here tomorrow.

Now I find out that I was sold the wrong hanger. The one I was sold came without the plate. Unbelievable.

Now I'm taking a breath and saying thankyou.

They will simply give you what the computer says is right, and if you punch in 94 XJ, they only list one hanger, which is the rubber strap and hardware, but doesn't include the plate.

I always take a few minutes and look up the part numbers before I go in. Saves me from making multiple trips into town (in a partially disassembled Jeep) when the computer is wrong.

For my 91, I bought the little piece of rubberized canvas or whatever it is from the dealer.

Tailpipe_Hangar.sized.jpg

Pain in the butt, works though

Looks like that's what I'm heading for. As I understand it, creating a hard connection between the pipe or muffler and the unibody can increase tha vibration and cabin noise. That's why they are all made out of rubber.

Back