• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 xj front driveshaft rebuild info

NJXJ666

NAXJA Forum User
Hey. I have a 2.5 ax5 2 door xj with the np207 tcase. The driveshaft doesnt have a normal cv joint but rather a "soup can with balls inside" looking joint on the tcase end. Any info about this style shaft or rebuild info? Sorry for my lack of better term

Do yourself a favor and scrap it, it's junk. I have an 84 with the NP207. All you have to do is go to a junkyard and grab a yoke off of a np231 and a regular u-joint front driveshaft, you will probably have to bring it to a driveshaft shop and get it shortened. By the way the driveshaft you have is a true constant velocity driveshaft.

Do yourself a favor and scrap it, it's junk. I have an 84 with the NP207. All you have to do is go to a junkyard and grab a yoke off of a np231 and a regular u-joint front driveshaft, you will probably have to bring it to a driveshaft shop and get it shortened. By the way the driveshaft you have is a true constant velocity driveshaft.

I thought it was a cv driveshaft but everyone was telling me otherwise (go figure) but yeah ill deff go that route. thank you.

I believe technically that is an Rzeppa style (or close to it) CV joint, the later front driveshafts use a double cardan style CV joint. Two different ways to accomplish the same task. Apparently the double cardan style is significantly stronger, at least when we're comparing the units used on XJs.

I believe technically that is an Rzeppa style (or close to it) CV joint, the later front driveshafts use a double cardan style CV joint. Two different ways to accomplish the same task. Apparently the double cardan style is significantly stronger, at least when we're comparing the units used on XJs.

this

ditch it in favor of the double cardan. You can rebuild those with regular 1310 u joints as long as the centering yoke is good.

I'd also suggest while you are at the junkyard, if you haven't done it already, is to grab u-joint style outer axle shafts from a newer cherokee if you have the older style cv axle shafts. On the older style cv shafts the rubber boots/seals tend to rip over time and then everything goes downhill from there.

does it matter what yoke i get off a 231, like any specific 231? 21 or 23 spline yada yada. thank you everyone for the info i appreciate it.

I can't remember if it matters if you get it off a 21 or 23 spline input NP231. I believe the 21 spine works because I believe that's the one I got mine off.

i would go with a 21 spline since it would be off of a 4 cyl xj. idk ill figure something out somehow haha

I updated my 85 w/ np207 with yoke from a 231 and drive shaft out of I think it was a 91. There was a write up in the members section. It's a necessary upgrade when doing a lift.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details but it's relatively painless, definitely wouldn't go back with what came factory.

Back