• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CAT Performance high-flow waterpump?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone heard of or used one? I'm still getting warm but within 15 degrees of perfect temp on long uphill pulls, This and a robertshaw t-stat I'm hoping will get me to where I feel comfortable

How does this WP compare to a Hesco perf WP?

steel impellor vs cast aluminum, hesco seems to have poor feedback and no warranty, a lot of leaks and failures.

Do they have a website? I can't find them except on ebay.

Most of what I've read about hi-performance water pumps is that they are not necessary on a stock 4.0 and can even be harmful to the Jeep's cooling. The reasoning goes like this:
The water circulating through the engine moves heat around the engine and through the radiator, where it lets the outside air take some off. If the water doesn't spend enough time in the radiator, the air doesn't take enough heat off. The higher-flow water pump doesn't have any additional volume (larger hoses, bigger radiator, larger head passages, etc) to move water through, so to be "hi flow" it has to move the water faster. Less radiator dwell time, less cooling.
That, and I've heard stories about impellers blowing up & sending metal fragments through the cooling system, leaks, and other shenanigans.
Unless you are running a stroker or high compression motor with a larger radiator... I'd diagnose & repair the problem in your existing cooling system and / or replace your water pump with one from an OEM supplier.

Most of what I've read about hi-performance water pumps is that they are not necessary on a stock 4.0 and can even be harmful to the Jeep's cooling. The reasoning goes like this:
The water circulating through the engine moves heat around the engine and through the radiator, where it lets the outside air take some off. If the water doesn't spend enough time in the radiator, the air doesn't take enough heat off. The higher-flow water pump doesn't have any additional volume (larger hoses, bigger radiator, larger head passages, etc) to move water through, so to be "hi flow" it has to move the water faster. Less radiator dwell time, less cooling.
That, and I've heard stories about impellers blowing up & sending metal fragments through the cooling system, leaks, and other shenanigans.
Unless you are running a stroker or high compression motor with a larger radiator... I'd diagnose & repair the problem in your existing cooling system and / or replace your water pump with one from an OEM supplier.

This.

I replaced my radiator with a 3 row from DPG Offroad and my temp has never gone over 211* since. The larger radiator allows the coolant to stay in there longer, and keeps the temp steady. Before with the factory radiator, the temp would be at 188* when coasting down a hill, then 212-215* when driving up a long grade. Now my temp stays around 190-198* all day long no matter what the ambient temp is.

I'm fairly certain the rest of my system is good. new csf rad, 195 oem t-stat, .40 over newer longblock, zj hd clutch fan,16inch aux fan, power st and auto trans coolers. I do have alot of restriction in front of the grille ( winch lights,etc) it keeps cool if I keep rpm 2000rpm or over, But on a huge steep climb doing highway speeds it will reach 225-230 , but is otherwise cool, even crawling around in 4low all day long
2012-08-08085352.jpg

2012-08-08085412.jpg

2012-08-08085419.jpg

I'm fairly certain the rest of my system is good. new csf rad, 195 oem t-stat, .40 over newer longblock, zj hd clutch fan,16inch aux fan, power st and auto trans coolers. I do have alot of restriction in front of the grille ( winch lights,etc) it keeps cool if I keep rpm 2000rpm or over, But on a huge steep climb doing highway speeds it will reach 225-230 , but is otherwise cool, even crawling around in 4low all day long
2012-08-08085352.jpg

2012-08-08085412.jpg

2012-08-08085419.jpg

Holy radiator blocker batman! :laugh2: Also, are you regeared for those tires?

I'd look around for somewhere, almost anywhere, that you can relocated some of that cooling. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if you cleared some airflow obstruction & found your cooling system was just fine.
Remember, the point of having a radiator is to let AIRFLOW cool the water. Without enough airflow more water flow isn't going to help.
I'd consider a Ford Taurus fan swap or something similar. Less obstruction would be best - but if you can't remove obstruction, add power.

Back