• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case question

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I have an 87 MJ with rebuilt 2.5L, ax-5 from a 2000 XJ, and I had my original transfer case. My original NP231 got really noisy, though it worked fine, and I found a cheap, local, supposedly low mileage NP231 from a 90 Wrangler (21 spline). Had a transmission shop open it up and take a look, and put a new output shaft seal on it, and installed it. Defnitely quieter, but now leaking, from somewhere up high. Doesn't appear to be the breather, and it's not the drain/fill plugs.

My question is, because I'm tired of it, could I put a later model XJ 21 spline NP 231 in there? There are some lower mileage ones on car-part.com, but buying one off-shelf like that, I probably wouldn't get the linkage, if it's vastly different. To get the 90 Wrangler one in there, I had to swap the front yoke, and my speedometer gear housing to replace the speed sensor.

Anyone have an idea on this one? I'd love to find a low-mileage newer XJ NP231 and be DONE with this.

Thanks
Tom

Back