• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Normal Heat Range for a 2000 4.0L

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering what the normal heat range is for a 2000 4.0L engine in a Cherokee. My temperature gauge normally sits at the center of the gauge, 210. If I stop and shut off the engine and then start it up again, or get in a lot of slow traffic or long periods, it will move up to half way to the next mark, but immediately comes down to 210 once I start moving again. I'm not losing any coolant, no boiling over and the engine seems to run great. Just want to be sure I'm were I should be as far as engine temperature goes. Have not check the temperature with a remote thermometer yet.
Thanks,
Bill

Re: Noraml Heat Range for a 2000 4.0L

About 210 is normal. Temperature creep at idle, in stop-n-go traffic, or on the 4x4 trails, points to a failing mechanical fan clutch.

I think temp rise in traffic by half a mark is a little high. Mine usually sits just below the 210 mark, and raises to just above the 210 mark in traffic/slow moving.

You might want to make sure your auxiliary fan is coming on. Just get it warmed up, let it sit at idle with the hood open, you should hear and see the elec. fan kick on.

Edit: recently I was noticing the Jeep was running just above the 210 mark all the time. Had to replace the radiator due to a leak, and now the temp is back down below the mark - turns out the rad was partially clogged.

My 99 never temp creeps, no matter what I'm doing with it. But I agree that the #1 cause of temp creep at idle is a bad fan clutch.

I would verify though with an infrared point and shoot thermometer if you want verification. Point it directly at the thermostat housing.

Get a real temp guage first.
then report back.

As for normal temps... Here's my 1999 XJ's current status.
In the begging of July I replaced water pump, Tstat, hoses, flushed it, clutch fan and just prior to buying it the previous owner put a new OE radiator in. My XJ's temps never go above 206. I have a scanguageII so i can see exactly what's going on.
I'd consider anything above 210 very hot.
Most of the time it's between 196-200.

Like has been said many times, the gauge in an XJ is notoriously unreliable. The most important thing you can do is make sure and use a 16lb cap and replace it every 24 months.

my '01 with 136k runs 210 or hotter with hot weather and not moving. HOT HOT HOT. Open the windows and just feel the heat roll out from underneath! so pleasant:)

just wait till you start it up and starts misfiring because its so hot. Have read that it is because the fuel rails are situated above exhaust manifold, thus allowing hot fuel to enter into the chambers. Sounds like a recipe for misfire to me.

Great post because I was wonder the same thing about the temp. Is there a way to tell if there an fan clutch needs replacing?

Mine runs 210-220. My dads runs the same. Almost everyone I ask says the same.

I've put my scan gauge on my Toyota Camry....same. On my Subaru....hotter. On my dads motor home, 215-230 is the norm.

I think all of you freaking out over anything above 210 are silly at best.

Newer cars with better cooling systems can handle higher temps and are designed to do so.

Glad this is here. My 95 does the same as the OP. I believe it has a 98 4.0 in it with only about 90k on the motor. It will go from 200 to 220 depending on driving or sitting. I bought a new thermostat but haven't got a chance to replace it. Maybe that will be the cause

210 is really quite normal. the auxillary or electrical fan (Efan) should kick in 212-216 AND it should come on any time the AC is on.

210 is really quite normal. the auxillary or electrical fan (Efan) should kick in 212-216 AND it should come on any time the AC is on.

not for a 2000 or 01, the e fan only comes on with temperature.

210 is normal, 225 is hot, but not death, 240+ is when you need to stop and open the hood/hose down the radiator with water.

Yes, I'm on my third XJ right now and they have all run right at 210. Once it creeps up past that point, the auxiliary fan kicks on and helps bring it back down to 210. I run a little cooler than that on the highway by a few degrees sometimes. But I think 210 seems to be pretty normal for the 4.0 liter.

My 01 kicks the e fan on as soon as I turn the AC on. Even if it's dead cold.

ours does not, I'll have to look in the FSM, but I'm pretty sure it's not tied to the AC.

Back