• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33X12.50R15 Tires no lift on an XJ if possible pics plz question

Restruction

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I'm, just wondering if its possible to fit 33X12.50R15 Tires with no lift on a lightly modified XJ with no lift.

Here are some pictures of my jeep not sure where this gos so mods please move where its supposed to go.

I know that I cut to much I did that unintentionally I did it with my friends who I thought at the time knew what they were doing. But with this much cut would 33X12.50R15 Tires fit without a lift?

100_2739.jpg

100_2733.jpg

100_2732.jpg

100_2731.jpg

100_2730.jpg

100_2729.jpg

100_2728.jpg

100_2741.jpg

Last edited:
Sure, as long as you extend the bump stops and keep the sway bars....and you don't mind if the tires get cut up a little bit.

You will be very close to rubbing the leaf springs in the back, some 12.50s will fit, some wont, and 12.50 wont tuck inside the rear fenderwell. For the front, you will rub the contrtol arms pretty bad. You can adjust your stopper, or be careful and don't turn full lock. On the inside of the front well, you need to cut perpendicular slits on the inner rib, and then hammer it flat against the well. You can definitely run a 32x11.50 as it sits now.

Get 33x10.5. They will tuck better and you won't have as much issues with rubbing control arms and leaf springs. As was said earlier bump stop accordingly. You will probably need to massage a bit mor in the front but it looks like you cut past the pinch seam in the rear. Address it or you'll have water and road grim leaking inside the cab and rust will start there too and mildew.

Dude

Rust. Fix it first. clean it off and throw some primer on it at least. And get your rockers fixed. Then do tires.

agrred^^^ always get it road ready before you go investing in aftermarket parts...from the pictures the frame itself looks to be ok...that front fenders/rockers/doors seem to be hanging by a thread...as long as none of the rust has gone through on the doors grab a DA and go to town. then primer and your choice of paint....

rear wells definitly went past the pinch welds. have any access to a welder? Your going to want to fix that.

Like previously stated 10.5s could work. BUMPSTOP accordingly.

I see your rear leafs are inverted and your front coils arent what they should be...maybe after you fix the body (if you plan on keeping this) some craigslist/naxja used leafs and coils could be bought....just sayin

v8 grand cherokee coils will give you about 2" lift, combined with a bastard pack in the rear, could be done for less than $100 and makes fitting 33's much easier.

33x10.50 FTW!!

x2 on what everyone else has suggested. fix that rust! and get some other stock leafs, or similar. those gotta go.

33X12.50R15 Tires no lift on an XJ if possible pics plz question

0628111317.jpg

I don't recommend it, makes your roof cave in :D but in all seriousness I know with my 1st xj stock rims and 235x75s caused rubbing on the lower control arm lip. I would definitely recommend grabbing some lower control arms out of a wj. They have a bend in them to give you more room for steering.

I do remember seeing a picture floating about on here with someone having 34s on a stock xj, just trimming. But I would at least do a budget 2" to get you some clearance.

Best way to find out? Get out the measuring tape. Stock tires are 225s, which are about 27-28" tall. 33s are 5" bigger all around, so you'll need at 2.5" extra clearance around your current tires. More if you want the suspension to cycle or to be able to steer.

You can do it but you'd have very little uptravel, best if to atleast run a 2 or 3 inch lift, not to mention the stock lca's will probabley fold at the first trail.

10434_506073589574_3079097_n.jpg

100% stock, just 33s on wheels and trimmed fenders. They rubbed a little. I could have trimmed a little more and made it work, but the jeep went under the knife like 2 days later to be built.

why settle for 33s? Go for 35's and be done with the entire rig. I mean... what else is there that that jeep could possibly need more than bigger tires?

The dude is trying to put 33's on this- do you guys really think he's going to invest in bumpstopping?

Seriously, your door handles are about to fall off, the leaf springs are sagging, you cut the pinch seams in the rear which is going to open you up to a world of problems. Then you want to put bigger tires on, which will only jack whats left of your seams up even more.

And 33x12.5- I could be wrong, but wouldn't that mean you'd need wider than stock wheels?

Is this a DD? a trail rig? Do you plan on keeping it a while? Are you 16? I'm trying to understand the direction you're going here, and what you expect about whats left of this vehicle.

I wouldn't feel safe driving in the thing; I wouldn't even feel safe being on the road while you're driving that thing.

That guy Jerimiah, the one who just posted to all the chapter boards about his daughter being taken off of life support because a wheel came off of another vehicle and went through her windshield. It was was reiterated in the thread how important it was to make sure your jeep functionally safe, and how important it is to educate people when they [attempt to] make a dangerous decision(ex: 4" blocks). Don't be that guy.

If this is anything other than a trail rig to be TRAILERED to and from the trail, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise... tires are the LAST thing that you should be concerned about right now

You can do it but you'd have very little uptravel, best if to atleast run a 2 or 3 inch lift, not to mention the stock lca's will probabley fold at the first trail.
doubt that, I ran stock LCAs with 33s and 4" of lift for two years and did blatantly stupid things and barely kinked one of them - and that took blasting into the lip of a mudpit at 25-30mph while doing a time trial. I ran on those control arms for another few months before I replaced them with Rough Country.

In my experience the uppers fold and break first. The lowers just chew your tire shoulder lugs up.

edit: a few things
- check your lower control arm mounts, frame and body side, for rust damage. If they're rotted too bad, the first rock you try to bump it over or the first heavy braking offroad will tear the mounts off the axle tube or frame. Don't ask how I know this!
- check your frame to make sure it's not rotted through anywhere.
- check your leaf springs for the same thing.

Then wheel it till the wheels fall off!

10434_506073589574_3079097_n.jpg

100% stock, just 33s on wheels and trimmed fenders. They rubbed a little. I could have trimmed a little more and made it work, but the jeep went under the knife like 2 days later to be built.

holy crap, that thing was clean back in the day.

Last edited:
Seemed harsh, but it really does look like Jeep could benefit from a lot more than tires. If it stays on the trails only I say ride it till the wheels fall off. For a DD...I'd imagine that's not in the best of shape considering all that can be seen from the pics.

So may have seemed harsh, but really not. IMO.

Back