• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will bad cps cause a ign coil to fry?

toates89

NAXJA Forum User
my roommate was on his way up from nyc to buffalo and broke down 150 miles out.

got it towed to a shop and they said his cps is bad. then said it also fried his coil.

to me it seems like they replaced one thing and it didnt do the job so they fixed the next thing.

opinions?

I don't see how the CPS could fry the coil. CPS sends a signal to the PCM. The PCM then decides when to fire the ignition coil. When the CPS goes bad the PCM usually won't fire the coil at all or at the wrong time.

I'm pretty sure their thinking went like this:
Its a Jeep with no spark... its got to be the CPS. Lets replace it without testing it in any manner. Well, that didn't fix it so lets throw a coil at it and see what happens.

Tell them you want the bad parts back... you can put the parts back in one at a time to see if it runs... coil wouldn't be that hard to swap back in... CPS, you can test with a meter.

What Talyn said: they tried the CKP first(which is the problem 95% of the time), then when that didn't fix it, they swapped the Coil(the other 5%).

I don't see how the CPS could fry the coil. CPS sends a signal to the PCM. The PCM then decides when to fire the ignition coil. When the CPS goes bad the PCM usually won't fire the coil at all or at the wrong time.

I'm pretty sure their thinking went like this:
Its a Jeep with no spark... its got to be the CPS. Lets replace it without testing it in any manner. Well, that didn't fix it so lets throw a coil at it and see what happens.

I can see that.

If they did put a crank sensor in and it didn't resolve it and the coil did fix it, the one redeeming factor here is that now you have a new crank sensor, which is very possibly the most common engine management sensor failure on the 4.0.

Hope they didn't use a cheap aftermarket crank sensor though or the reliability long term might not be great.

If they did put a crank sensor in and it didn't resolve it and the coil did, the one redeeming factor here is that now you have a new crank sensor, which is very possibly the most common engine management sensor failure on the 4.0.

Might be best to let it ride and move onto other things.....

Excellent advice.

The CKP is not directly connected to the ignition coil. It generates a timing signal, which is read by the PCM, and then used to generate baseline timing signals for fuel delivery and spark timing.

I do not see how a CKP can cause the ignition coil to fail. Sounds to me like they were shotgunning parts at the thing, vice actually testing it. Did they check for fuel injector pulses to determine that the CKP had failed? A failed CKP will cause no output to both the fuel injectors (all six of them) and the ignition coil.

Purely anecdotal of course, but when my cps went out it fried the cpu. Problem was I diagnosed to the cpu first, replaced it and the bad cps fried the replacement. I then replaced the cps, then the cpu again for a final fix. Glad car-part had cpu's cheap...

I just had a coil fail. The symptom was that I was driving down the road and then the engine just quit. For the fisrt few tries to restart, it would almost but not quite catch. The more I tried, the worse it got, until there was nothing at all. Of course, my first thought was that it was the CPS. I checked spark, and it was there, although very, very weak. To verify that the CPS was working, I simply unplugged it. The weak spark went away, and came back when I plugged it back in. That verified operation of the CPS, since the PCM will not even try to fire the coil if there is no signal from the CPS. In my case, I had a shorted coil which produced weak spark. When I searched for my problem, everything I found said either bad CPS or bad ASD relay. Neither of those were my problem.

All the CPS does is detect a magnetic pulse from a magnet on the flywheel/flexplate. The CPU uses that signal to send the timing signal to the coil. The CPS will either work or not work.

You guys have to understand, us payed mechanics have customers sitting in our lobbies, with no start or mil light on issues that think it should be a 5 minute fix. Our shop rate is $77 an hour to properly diagnose your issue or do you want me to just throw parts at it till I fix it? You would be surprised at how many would rather you throw parts at it, than to pay for you to properly diagnose it.

I just had a coil fail. The symptom was that I was driving down the road and then the engine just quit. For the fisrt few tries to restart, it would almost but not quite catch. The more I tried, the worse it got, until there was nothing at all. Of course, my first thought was that it was the CPS. I checked spark, and it was there, although very, very weak. To verify that the CPS was working, I simply unplugged it. The weak spark went away, and came back when I plugged it back in. That verified operation of the CPS, since the PCM will not even try to fire the coil if there is no signal from the CPS. In my case, I had a shorted coil which produced weak spark. When I searched for my problem, everything I found said either bad CPS or bad ASD relay. Neither of those were my problem.

All the CPS does is detect a magnetic pulse from a magnet on the flywheel/flexplate. The CPU uses that signal to send the timing signal to the coil. The CPS will either work or not work.

You guys have to understand, us payed mechanics have customers sitting in our lobbies, with no start or mil light on issues that think it should be a 5 minute fix. Our shop rate is $77 an hour to properly diagnose your issue or do you want me to just throw parts at it till I fix it? You would be surprised at how many would rather you throw parts at it, than to pay for you to properly diagnose it.

ok well a voltage meter will test a cps ten minutes maybe? and same for the coil.

i do my own work

Back