• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good guys are hard to find

MauriceGOL

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ahoy,

So my wife decided to get my rig fixed up slightly and shipped out for my wedding present. And now that it is out here I figure it is about to time start whipping it into shape. So the first thing I did was go get my user name in red letters. I have done a few small mods on my own but I still need a helping hand with more critical things, mostly so I am not that blurp on SigAlert on the 405.

I live in RPV and work in Long Beach so I was hoping someone could recommend a good mechanic in that area. I saw the posts for junk yards and different manufacturing shops, and I hope to need those guys fairly soon. But really I am hunting for the type of mechanic who is more excited to use a junkyard replacement part than order an OEM part from a plastic foundry.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

what do you need done? I might be able to help you out, many a jeep has been built in my driveway ;)

Everything really. I am generally looking for someone who can fix those menacing clunks, thumps, hisses and flames that I can't quite repair. More specifically I have some issues with wiring thourghout, apparently rats think my rig is as comfortable as my thoroughly warped seat frame suggests. And there is a general sense of "something is about to blow" with the transmission but right now it's the calm before the storm. Or is that the standard feeling?

I took it to Wilsons body shop up the hill on Hawthorne and Indian Peak and they seemed straightforward but not as cheap as I had hoped.

I am currently looking for a few mods, like a lift, that wouldn't necessarily be mechanic jobs. If the driveway is available at that point in the future it would be a pleasure to take you up on that, provided that Stone Brewery is considered a form or currency.

My rates are very fair, and go down if you help (but that's not necessary) The only thing I won't tackle is internal engine work and body work. my work space is located in Gardena pretty much where the 91 and 110 cross eachother. I live just off of PCH and prospect in an apartment if you'd like to stop by some time and give me the run down of what you're looking to do and we can go from there.

i totally thought this was going to be a coming out thread.

This coming from a guy with pink parts on his jeep.

It was, but then it got bumped to "Jeepspeed"

Maurice, never mind Dan, he's a bit off... i think all the vatos coming over to his place to steal from him has got him a bit wound up.

Welcome! I'm no expert, but am willing to lend a hand when it comes to wrenching, drinking beer, or just need a brown for anything. :p

Julio

joking aside, i would recommend hooking up with Grimm. he can help with fixing your jeep, plus he can help you understand what the problem was. that way you will learn more about your jeep and how to fix it. most shops wont do that. plus you will make a new jeepin buddy to go 4 wheelin with. (and no offense here) RPV is an upscale area, and those shops cater to folks willing to pay higher prices. it has been a while since i lived there, but lomita, torrance, and wilmington had a few decent shops that loved to "fabricate" and build offroad stuff using junk yard parts. but even back then they were barely making a living. many shops like that have closed their doors in this economy. it is better to find friends in your area that are willing to help. that is how most jeep clubs started anyhow. friends helping friends and having fun with their rigs.

Back