• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have a good write up with pics for 8.25 Aussie install?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Their PDF is less then helpful. I have done all my own work on the XJ so far, just never messed with a locker before. The axle is out as I doing a swap to the 8.25, and the sfats are already pulled. I see some get away with not pulling the carrier...

Did the locker come with instructions? I had the axle out for mine to, install was very easy I belive it was somthing like

Install both side gaers with thrust washers install ring gear side cam gear spacer washer thingy and axle shaft then the other side with installing the c clip through the groove

11s36vl.jpg

Forgive my inexperience in the locker area, but this is what I am looking at now, how do I get the spiders out? Those 4 big bolts left and right are to remove the carrier aren't they? thanks

My Aussie should be in any day now - hopefully the install is straightforward and I'll post up a write-up in my build thread. Might not help right now - but as a previous poster said the locker replaces your side gears, spider gears, and spider gear thrust washers. The side gear washers, c-clips, and center pin are reused (barring any excessive wear). All this is done w/o removal of the carrier - which is the beauty of the "lunchbox" style locker IMO as far as driveway D.I.Y.ers.

i did it within an hour and a half without taking out the carrier with 3.55. pull the shafts, pull the center pin, pull out the old spiders, reuse the thrust washers and install the sides, install the pins, then install the springs, install the center pin

the d30 i ended up pulling the carrier out and taking off the ring gear

^^^ Once you pull the center pin out, rotate the spider gears/side gears untill the spider gears will come out the huge opening in the carrier. Once they are out the side gears just come right out.

Stock/standard internals should come out lickety-split. Trust me, this is what I started with: welded internals

IMG387.jpg

This is how my carrier sits right now - awaiting my Aussie arrival and install:

IMG394.jpg

BTW - Chrysler 8.25 29 spline w/ 3.55 gears - no grinding of ring gear teeth is needed.

Great info guys, very helpful. I have the shafts all the way out as I installed new wheel studs for the Disc brake conversion happening simultaneously. So I am guessing I need to put them back in just to turn gears loose? ALso is it good idea to spray every thing down with brake cleaner?

The side and spider gears should free spin with the center pin and axles pulled because they aren't connected to anything any more. By that I don't mean spin like a top but they don't have anything prohibiting movement. Yes - brake cleaner is a good thing to use for cleaning all the grease/oil/debris out of the housing, gears, carrier, etc.

I have read to grease the locker to "glue" it together for install. Is bearing grease the right kind ?
yup any kind of bearing grease will do, i used the red lucas super tacky or whatever it was called or ya can just use what ever yo have layin around aslong as it clean

Ok, so that was a complete PITA! but she is in there. M buddy said Spartans are not as difficult or as tight as fit.

Dropped the spiders, no prob like you guys said just rotate.

444931d1343881100-silver-bullet-xj-sport-24s-31s-image-1195626578.jpg

Greased up parts to stick

444932d1343881106-silver-bullet-xj-sport-24s-31s-image-3748266378.jpg

Thrust washers and gears, thought I was a pro at this point...

444933d1343881109-silver-bullet-xj-sport-24s-31s-image-2776443560.jpg

The space to drop the C clips in with the cups is just plain silly how you have to wedge it, put the shaft in, pull back to set clip on the set in postion. Didn't get a pic as a lot of grease was used as "glue" to keep the cups and Clips in place. but finally got it pieced together.

444934d1343881119-silver-bullet-xj-sport-24s-31s-image-1784859441.jpg

Maybe I just had a tough time, bu it took an hour and 30 minutes and that's with the axle off the Jeep. Also last question is about the springs. this was a gently used under 1000K Aussie, but 2 of the springs look little wonky. Should I find replacements, or will it be ok? I put the 2 good ones and seems to spread the gap just fine.

524209_4283290730791_1171745949_n.jpg

Thanks again for all the advice, really gave me some confidence on the install... Now I am ready for the Spartan in the D30. Gets here Friday.

Cool, man! My Aussie got delivered yesterday while I was on duty. My older daughter said the dog chewed into the box - hope he didn't ruin anything. I'll see how my install goes today or tomorrow.

I think I'd order new springs to have on hand. You may get by with those springs, but you'll need a new set to refresh it sooner or later anyway.

Back