• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

surge lag feeling

Mike Mike

NAXJA Forum User
OK, 94, AX15. Just swapped a motor in from a 92. It has less than 70,000 on motor. Motor was a rebuild, so may be a different year.
When driving at freeway speeds (2000-2500 rpm) it feels as if there's a very small surge or lag in rpm. I can feel it, the speed doesn't change. It doesn't show on the tach.
It's surge lag surge lag or maybe it's lag surge lag surge. Barely perceivable but there. Don't feel/act like a miss.
No one else can feel it, but their not one with the Jeep like I am.
If it was on the motor it stayed on during the swap. New Standard brand cap, rotor, wires, Champion copper plugs.
So what do you think it is or is my butt dyno just not working right??

Not helpful, maybe, but I've had all sorts of intermittent running issues with the Jeep over the years. For a while it would threaten to die at idle until warm. That one turned out to be a dirty coolant temp sensor connector, I think, coupled with cheap gas and high altitude. It cleared up.
Then I discovered that cheap gas + mountain grades = ping.
Then it would mysteriously surge and idle at 2500 rpm for a while... that went away
Now it is back to stumbling at idle once in a while...
If I have a point, it is this: Jeeps will do these sorts of things but frequently will fix themselves.
Try a tank of mid-grade & some injector cleaner.

Never took the dizzy out.
Maybe a little to attentive, first week driving this motor. Was thinking maybe TPS or running on the presets. It only has about 25 starts on it. Dumped some injector cleaner it. Will see how it runs this week.

Back