• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

under hood heat question

coldcdn

NAXJA Forum User
So the other day i had my jeep running for about 5 min's while i moved it around in the garage. What surprized me was how hot the engine got within that amount of time. I could not place my hand on the upper rad hose or heater hose's or the valve cover. The fan was working and the engine was stone cold before the 5 min (had not been fired in a couple weeks). So here is my question, is this normal ??

I'am pretty sure i have to replace the t-stat and i think the water pump is on the way out . So let me know what u guys think thanks

It does not take long for a Jeep motor to heat up to operating temp, about 210 degrees F. So to me that sounds about right. And what makes you think the t-stat and water pump are going out?

at start up the T-stat is closed restricting coolant flow, this is to warm the engine faster as mentioned above ... left it run for longer and watch your temp guage.
You should see the temp rise quickly then peak and drop some, that would be the thermostat opening up. Mine does all this within about 1/2 block.

in a nutshell ... sounds normal.

first thanks for the replys, to answer magimerlin question i havnt changed the t-stat since i bought the vechile and iam pretty sure the orginal owner didnt either, and there is a grinding noise coming from the water pump so thats kinda of a give away.

It would really help if i had guages that worked i think i may invest in a set of those. On that topic what is the best place to install the oil pressure guage?

thanks again

...It would really help if i had guages that worked i think i may invest in a set of those. On that topic what is the best place to install the oil pressure guage?

thanks again

Would be nice if you could swap in a cluster from a Laredo or model that had full instruments - you'd get a tach too - not sure if this is even doable but if mine was a base model that's where I would go. :)

yes, you can swap gauge clusters out. be sure to get the same year ranges (there are cut offs for things like mech speedo cables but I forget what they are). and you may have to swap out some sensors.

Back