• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ CPS questions

ang31-0f-d347h

NAXJA Forum User
(TL;DR this is about 99 CPS spacer/spacing) replaced sensor, sputters when driving /idles (even with gas), doesnt stall. (to clarify sputtering AFTER replacement)

2WD, 1999 XJ, aftermarket CPS, both old and new CPS have holes not slots.

Well, first of all ive been searching high and low, and im pretty exhausted. So I apologize if the information is available and I missed it. I have been researching this for a few weeks and spent a more than a few hours reading write-ups about CPS replacement

CPS in my 99' XJ was going bad due to heat, seems to be a common issue. Tested with a multimeter and confirmed it as bad. Also replugging seemed to get it to start up whenever it had a failure and wouldnt start, otherwise it seemed like a perfect cps.

I can't seem to get solid info about the spacing on my specific year...

If I space a plastic spacer or cover, do I still need a paper spacer? the cheapo one I got didnt come with one.

If I have a plastic spacer / cover? where exactly does it go? Will it be obvious of I go through shift cable hole VS under the car with huge extensions. Getting good eye on the area seems to be pretty difficult given the angle from underneath.

Im aware my new CPS could now be toast due to the fact I started it without the spacer.

Thanks for reading, hope you have a good day..... Might just end up going to a mechanic if I can find one trusty in my town.

Last edited:
AS5Qd.jpg
sorry for doublepost, couldn't seem to edit this time.

Finally figured out the plastic thing.... still no word on the paper spacer, hopefully when parts dept opens at my local dealer they will have a solid answer, as I cant seem to find another paper spacer from any auto shop.

Time to do it all again.

Thanks anyone for reading.

paper spacer part number is: 5252229
most dealers should have it. not all cps came with it, even from mopar.
i believe it was only really used on the 4.0's from somewhere around the early 2000's on up. as they mounted on a single bolt, and there was a lot more "up & down" adjustment that could be had. you could literally grind the end right off those cps' if it got pushed too close to the flywheel cut-outs. your's doesn't really have that kind of adjustment, and unless you really screw up, it'd be tough to get the sensor too close-especially with that plastic locator doohickey in place.

Local dealer still won't pick up the phone in the parts dept /: ,

Wonder if by some stroke of luck, my new cps will still be good.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Spoke with the parts department, wow talk about someone with a chip on their shoulder..... extremely rude, tells me that there is not a spacer for my car and that hes sure. I mention it might be different per year and he ignores my question. Said only thing he has in a new sensor for 75 bucks...... no spacer and he is "Sure of it, as he owns a cherokee as well"

... So guess this plastic thing could just be my issue...... or maybe I really do need a paper spacer.... anybody want to PM me their favorite dealer doesnt matter where? I assume people not from my area are generally better mannered.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, looks like the "New" cps was/is bad.

removed and reattached new one with with proper plastic cover. same bad idle, stutter stutter shake shake

removed "new" cps, and put back old CPS.

Works fine now..... until the CPS gets hot again and fails.....

Still looking for solid advice as to whether the paper spacer is a must. I assume not as I didnt/dont seem to have one.

Thanks naxja for listening/reading

T

Back