• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Sending Unit O-ring

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I have just replaced the pump and strainer on my '94. The O-ring was on the tank side of the sending unit/pump assembly. Is this where it is supposed to go?? I have tried putting the retainer ring, and assembly into place numerous times, and I have yet to get it "lined up" per se. I can get two of the three tabs of the retainer ring to engage, but for some reason, I haven't found out why the assembly isn't going back in correctly. Is there a trick to this?? If the O-ring thing goes on the tank side, I guess how do I get the sending unit to sit/seat correctly so that I can get all three tangs of the retainer ring to engage?? This is the last stage to verify that I am getting fuel to the fuel rail. I am trying to get it done, in the rain(that we so desperately need). What is bothering me is that it didn't take a whole lot of effort to get it out, I didn't bend or damage anything in the process, and when you do the twisty turn thing to get the pump, and float assembly its like there is a baffle or something in the bottom of the tank that isn't allowing the whole unit to turn enough to get the unit to seat. Help or ideas from those that have done this before would be appreciated. I can do it, I just ain't sure I am doing something 100% right. Help here.....anyone????

Jeff

It's going to come out easy if there not rusted. The o ring's been smashed for 18 years. Yes it goes on the tank side. Yes there is a metal tab in the tank for the strainer to sit on.
My 94 was a PIA to do. If you have it so it looks like its sitting on the O ring. Your probably in the right spot. On mine it took 1 person to push down on the sending unit and 1 to turn the ring.

Back