• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amateur hour- please confirm my suspicion(steering/ball joints replacement needed))

fallacist

NAXJA Forum User
I suddenly realized today that the clunking sound I've been hearing had gotten worse, and while parked today, and turning the wheel, I heard noise that I hadn't noticed before, and it was coming from the right side steering area.

I hopped out and took these pictures:

leakage around 2 joints...
HEnxcl.jpg

Left side looks good..
JvGfsl.jpg

Leaking around the tierod?
DiExCl.jpg

Looks like blown ball joints on one side, and potentially an issue with my tie rod[end?]? Would this be the prime suspect for my clunking noise?

So what are my options? If I can put something better than stock in there I'm all ears, but I'm not trying to spend a ton of money as I'm getitng married in a couple of months. It's a lp D30.

Would my best bet be to swap a 1 ton upgrade up there? Something like http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.c...roduct_info&cPath=1231_1247&products_id=89965

I don't like the looks of the pass side tie rod end, check it for play. Looks to me like the stud is no longer centered in the housing (I'm talking about the one on the drag link, out at the wheel.)

"leakage" from the joints is no indicator.

Get someone to work the wheel back and forth while you look at all of the joints. Or get it up in the air and start prying/pulling on things.

Sloppy joints need replaced.

"leakage" from the joints is no indicator.

Get someone to work the wheel back and forth while you look at all of the joints. Or get it up in the air and start prying/pulling on things.

Sloppy joints need replaced.

I had someone working the wheel while I was taking a look, and there did seem to be excessive "shifting" as well as clicking and popping as it went back and forth at those two joints(the upper joint, and the joint the N8N was talking about, on the tie rod/drag link connection.

I'll take another look today. I guess I'm hoping for all the play to be coming from the tie rod, and not from that upper joint, eh?

I'd have to agree on the drag link end ... replace that right off. Since it's the long one you'll be popping the tie rod link as well.

Leakage is not an issue, they use grease ... add more. Usually older grease will start to separate in the heat and cause 'leakage' ... again, just add more. It can also be from overfilling the joints and some starts squeezing out, then when you wash it off or drive in water/rain it'll leave a 'grease stain' like that. Not an issue if the joint is tight and the rubber cup is in good shape.

ive been in your situation recently and it was hard to figure out, but if you are running original tie rods and ball joints they are probably toast anyway. I was getting clicking and popping as well, but I replaced all the tre & ball joints and i was still having probs. Replaced the steering box today and now back to normal.....So its somewhat of a process of elimination based on your best judgment of what you think is in the worst shape by turning the wheel back and forth.

Joints and TRE's would be my opinion. If its relatively new to you it would be good to replace them anyway. It shouldn't be the steering box but it is a remote possibility.

Going with the same style but over the knuckle would help the lessen the angles quite a bit.

jacked up the front, took the wheels off and messed around with stuff.

Steering box is tight
everything "feels" tight.
I've had a problem with that trackbar axle bolt coming loose before, but its tight. While its jacked up I will check for droop. Even with droop, I think I have a problem beyond that.

I heard excessive "noise" coming from that passenger side area when everything was on the ground, and the wheel was moved back and forth. That's where I've been hearing the clunk as well.

Considering this is my prettier half's DD, and its not going anywhere until I get it fixed, this means I'm chauffeuring her to work until its done. We both work 9-5's so this week is gonna blow.

I'm not really good at finding this issue, "look for play": the whole set up moves around in funny angles, so I might go with a 1 ton steering upgrade, new ball joints, and see if that eliminates the problem.

I've had the jeep for almost a year now, and its got about 115 on the ticker, so I guess this was an inevitable step to take.

are these the correct ball joints for my 01? http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=167752

Joints and TRE's would be my opinion. If its relatively new to you it would be good to replace them anyway. It shouldn't be the steering box but it is a remote possibility.

Going with the same style but over the knuckle would help the lessen the angles quite a bit.

over the knuckle means I need to drill something out and use tapered inserts?
is that a noticeable improvement? couldn't I lessen the angles with an extended pitman arm?

Listen.. its very simple to do... First to check for slop you want tires on the ground, thats important! Have someone turn the wheel back and forth and look at all ends and track bar ends, only the tires should be moving, if there is slop in any of the joints they need replacing. And check the balljoints like I stated above...

I would figure out what exactley is wore out before dropping coin on ball joints and 1 ton steering.. IMO

When we say "slop" we mean any, and I mean any, movement of a tie rod end before whatever it is bolted to. If the tie rod end moves slightly and then the knuckle starts to follow ... this is slop.

And just to add to the fun ... that clunking ... what is the condition of your upper and lower arm bushings? How much play is there in your sway bar bushings (frame) and link ends? I notice you have disco's ... if there is play there, they'll klunk.

Back